View Single Post

Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Regular

Question Guidance on how to handle large data in excel using vb.net

Hi,

I have a question regarding manipulating data in Excel using vb.net.

I actually have massive of data in a workbook...so here's the workflow of what I am going to do.

I want to do many possible divisions of the cells in that column. So as shown in the picture, the light blue means [All cell]/[first cell], and dark blue means [all cells]/[second cell] and continue on until the last cell in column E. Then from there, it will be inverse division e.g.[first cell]/[all cells], [second cell]/[all cells] and so on. So it is like doing all possible combination of division.

So next column will be the same as the previous column, where you do all possible division in Column F.

So once that is done, I want to do some filtering to filter most data based on certain conditions so that I will end up with only a very small bunch of data.

However, the problem here is that since my data is huge, it will cause excel to slow down and I am not sure if it will hit the limit of its no. of rows and columns. So is it possible to actually do the calculations and filtering "behind the scene" before displaying it in Excel as final outcomes?

Pls give me some guidance on how to start on it. So far, I have manage to open excel file using openfiledialog but is unsure of how to proceed on.

PS: I have done manually (tedious!) and it cause Excel to lag or even hang before I am halfway through the data. Hence, I wanted to do it in automated way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Division combination.jpg (97.8 KB, 7 views)