View Single Post

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Newcomer

Smile Setting up a database for work

Hi Guys,

I have setup some asp.net websites with a small database in the past but it was long time ago. I used vb.net and it was for a school project. I have some experience with it and I think with the help of youtube and google I will be able to get one up at work.

Right now, they are using a lot of spreadsheets and lot of vlookups and pivot tables. I will have access to VB Studio which should come with SQL. I was thinking to making their feeder(massive spreadsheet) as my database. What I want to accomplish are:

1. Making a webpage from which they can see the database(part of it) as a table with nice formats.
2. Making features from which they can add to the db or delete from the db.
3. Sorting features
4. Making a lot of graphs based on the information that I pull from the database.

I want the graphs and reports to dynamically change with the information in the database. So if someone enters a new customer and they say would go to a graph, it will reflect that new addition.

Could you guys reccomend me any videos, tutorials, any charting and graphing help, well anything that would help me set up a asp.net website. Also, if there anything I can add on to Visual Studio that can simplify the whole charting and graphing.

All the current data is in excel spreadsheets. What is the best way for me to put that into SQL database. I can just just go and start manually typing Customer Name, Revenue and so on, there area lot of fields.

I am thinking about making a prototype and seeing how it works.

Thanks a lot guys!