Programming for kids, what language?

Lynnie
08-23-2001, 09:51 AM
I got my kids programmable legos which they loved and recently this computer game, Mind Rover, where you program the responses of little vehicles to various inputs and my 11-yr old is going to town. What language would you recommend for him to start programming with? I think 11 is old enough to start programming and he won't get it at his school.

Ad1
08-23-2001, 09:57 AM
call me biased but I think VB is probably the best language for himto start with

like the name says its visual and its basic

Yoda
08-23-2001, 10:07 AM
I agree - VB stands for a quick result in the beginning, which will make sure they don't quit right away, and a real challenge when you dig deeper.

<font color=green>Do or do not
There is no try</font color=green>

Laurent
08-23-2001, 11:07 AM
i also agree, kids like what they can see, the interface is so easy and quick to build with vb kids would love it, don't start by showing him c++ where you need to do lots of hard coding. your kid will be killing us in 10 years if he starts so young!

I'll be among the best soon, very soon!!!

Squirm
08-23-2001, 11:58 AM
Ive got mindstorms lego too it rocks (and Im 17). I am intending on developing a programmer in VB to interface with the robots via the Infrared link (there is an OCX you can download to do this). Therefore you can link VB with the mindstorms, if need be (although writing such an app. is not for the beginner). I personally started programming at about 7 in BASIC on an old Amstrad 8-bit computer, then moved to QBASIC when the PC came along, and 4 years ago took up VB. Go for it, good luck mate images/icons/smile.gif.

Volte
08-23-2001, 12:40 PM
I started VB when I was 7 images/icons/smile.gif
6 years of VB programming! I think I started with VB3

TommyHM111
08-23-2001, 02:03 PM
i started with vb3.0 when i was nine... you just have to stick with it and don't let him make hacking programs because he'll drop it for awhile then when you don't expect it he weill be making huge viruses (atleast thats what i did)
but now im making productive programs

<font color=white>Scooby </font color=white> <font color=yellow>-Doo </font color=yellow><font color=blue> Where are you? </font color=blue>

Squirm
08-23-2001, 02:10 PM
I still do, or try to, make hacking programs, not nasty ones, just to test myself a little, and for handy little functions. images/icons/smile.gif

TommyHM111
08-23-2001, 02:16 PM
yeah see the "nasty" programs aren't productive... but i still try to make them... like i already have my school networked with one of my programs

<font color=white>Scooby </font color=white> <font color=yellow>-Doo </font color=yellow><font color=blue> Where are you? </font color=blue>

KesleyK
08-23-2001, 02:50 PM
Alright, guys, enough nasty talk...

"Recently reported by the Assoc. of Incomplete Research, 7 out of 10 people." -- K. Nealon, SNL

TommyHM111
08-23-2001, 07:57 PM
ehh sorry... its just... i dunno its kinda hard to say what you want to say. with all these guidlines

KesleyK
08-23-2001, 08:00 PM
Then take it to PM. Words come pretty much free there...

PWNettle
08-24-2001, 02:29 PM
I would also recommend VB. I tought myself to program in BASIC on an Atari 800 when I was about 13. VB is both easier to deal with and more robust (and challenging) than Atari BASIC ever was. I think a young person could get easily get familiar with VB because it's easy to do simple programming and the visual interface and windows visual components are WAY easier to deal with than anything I ever did back in the day. A young person wouldn't have to dive into the more complex VB concepts/programming until he/she wanted too, if ever.

I would also recommend HTML (actually learning HTML and writing it in a text editor rather than simply using an HTML editor :) While HTML isn't a programming language it is a form of coding, it's extremely simple, it's fun, and it offers instant gratification (you can write a simple web page in seconds with HTML). I would think that messing with HTML could inspire a youngster to want to learn more about coding in general. All you need to learn HTML is some basic file management skills (saving and locating files), a text editor, a browser, and minimal instruction. The Beginer's Guide to HTML is a good online source for getting going in HTML.

Cheers,
Paul

dragnut
08-25-2001, 05:30 AM
My 3 year old thinks vb is the best thing since pizza and beer (my words not his)! I'm really going to have to watch out when he can read and write. Not to mention he's showed me a few things i didn't know.
Shawn

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum