Wanna join an RPG Fantasy Simulation?

JDYoder
08-27-2001, 09:46 AM
On this other board I frequent, we batted around the idea of an RPG Fantasy Sim where each person would submit a text file (representing a character) to a program which I would make. It would then perform combat between all players and rank them from best to worst. (Sort of like an idea I posted here long ago).

In order to submit an entry, I'd lay down the ground rules on this forum once I'm done and you'd spend "points" on your char's stats and equipment, trying to give your char the best winning combination. If anyone would be interested, please email me at...

jyoder7@hotmail.com

...with a subject of RPG Sim or whatever. The reason I'm branching out to this forum as well is because I haven't gotten enough interest on the other forum to make it worth my while. (And if there aren't enough people, I won't bother creating it at all). And I thought maybe some here would be mildly interested, but if not, I understand.

Teric
08-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. I sent you an e-mail.

Yoda
08-31-2001, 09:02 AM
I didn't ... yet ... but I will !

<font color=green>Do or do not
There is no try</font color=green>

Yoda
09-11-2001, 03:03 AM
I still haven't heard of you ... is it still on ?

andrewo
09-11-2001, 06:46 AM
Thats absolutely and completely stupid
why would anyone bother with such a thing
go buy diablo 2 or something

~

Octavo
09-11-2001, 09:17 AM
The Idea is not to entertain you, it's to gain a better understanding of how to code these types of games.

This forum is about sharing ideas and working together to build something that you couldn't accomplish on your own. If you don't like or agree with the idea, that is no reason to critisize it.

Octavo

Yoda
09-12-2001, 02:08 AM
Andrewo,

First of all this is a helping forum, not a forum where you can go about calling other people stupid. If you want to do that, go to a chat, but stop bothering us here. I doubt much help will be given from your side anyway.

Second, like Octavo said, the point of this as well as the point of the coding contests is to be able to compare with others how you handle these circomstances and to exchange ideas. Coding an RPG is not an easy task, and things like this can improve your insight on the subject.

Third, I already have Diablo 2, as well as Lord of Destruction, and if I would run into you on Battle.Net I'd kick your butt !

I'm awaiting your response,

Yoda

BillSoo
09-12-2001, 03:26 AM
Andrew and Yoda.

If you want to continue this, take it to Private Messages.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Yoda
09-12-2001, 03:37 AM
Sorry Bill, this will go no further than this. I just thought it was inappropriate of Andrew to call people stupid.

-------------~~ The End ~~-------------

JDYoder
09-12-2001, 10:18 PM
Whoa! I just dropped by to check out any other posts in the Games forum here and I see my thread's been getting a few responses, even though I haven't been getting any emails saying it was. So I haven't been ignoring this -- just didn't know about it.

And thanks, Yoda and Octavo, for coming to my "defense." And Andrewo, while I don't really care about your particular opinion on this matter since I'm a "big-boy" :), you need to work on how you relate your opinions to others in the future. Those kind of comments aren't going to bounce off everyone like they did in this case. You could seriously hurt someone.

Yoda -- I have you down and you should have gotten an email from me today explaining that I'll be taking a little longer than planned. Because of the events of yesterday, I find my programming drive lower than usual, if you know what I mean. But let me know if you got my email or not, either here or by email if you did receive it.

andrewo
09-13-2001, 01:03 AM
How has that got anythin to do with makin the game
making "imaginary characters" and "imaginary" makin them battle

~

BillSoo
09-13-2001, 01:43 AM
He is asking for people to help him test the game he is writing. It's on topic.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

JDYoder
09-13-2001, 06:07 PM
Andrewo -- My, but you are a critical one, aren't you? ;) I wasn't saying that I felt wrong in creating "imaginary violence" in lieu of the real violence of that day, which is how I think you misinterpreted my statement.

I was simply saying that I'm much more somber as of late, and I don't feel like programming a game of any sort when the idea of 20,000 dead Americans are preoccuping my every waking moment.

And back to your original post -- you're right in that this is not a game. The "point" of it is as Octavo said -- to share ideas and code and to learn cooperatively. If some have "fun" with it (as I am and will) that's a great by-product, but it's more a learning project than anything else. So it's certainly not for everyone.

andrewo
09-17-2001, 07:47 AM
Heh after your first reply i understood what you meant..i just didnt want to admit i was wrong :)

~

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum