Playing a *.mid

teach me
08-27-2001, 02:07 PM
How would I preload, and play a *.mid file without the program that is playing it appearing? (I mean "backgroud music" fo my rpg)

BillSoo
08-27-2001, 02:10 PM
Are you saying that you want to run 2 programs at once? An RPG program and a *separate* program that just plays MIDI files?

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

orufet
08-27-2001, 02:17 PM
Why not just use a hidden form in your RPG project?

Jacob Sheehy

Teric
08-27-2001, 02:23 PM
I think his question would be better stated as follows, please correct me if I'm mistaken:

"How do I run a game and have a .mid file playing as part of the game?"

Without using DirectX, the only way (that I know of) to have .mid files playing during run-time is to have the windows media control running. You can hide it, and play midi files with it, but it creates a large amount of overhead with your game program.

Using DirectX, you can use DirectMusic (or is it DirectSound?) to play .mid files.

bobthebuilder
08-27-2001, 04:17 PM
use API the sndplaysnd one

Public Declare Function sndPlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" Alias "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

then do

y = sndPlaySound("notify.wav", 0&)

and put it inot a loop

do
doevents
y = sndPlaySound("notify.wav", 0&)
loop

-The Builder

teach me
08-27-2001, 07:36 PM
Well, I'd like to have my RPG program play the music, without using unneccesary ram on media player propoganda.

teach me
08-27-2001, 07:55 PM
That'll do. I'll use the sndplay thing you suggested in my twisted, epic RPGing, zelda-walking-arounding, day time soap opera story lining, omniefficienting, gravity defying, cancer curing, state of the arting, wham, bam, thank you ma'amming, leaping tall buildings in a single bounding, faster than a speeding training, smarter than the average bearing, flim-flam, whippity whapping, its my party and I'll cry if I want toing, enabling crippled people to walking, war on drugs winning, hibbity, jibbity, fibbity, swibbitying, hate group dissapating, rip-rapping, the technology of teleportation bringing, resurecting, solar powering, illegal alien banishing, slap-sticking, mind boggling, mental health repairing RPG.

Thanks.

Teric
08-28-2001, 12:00 PM
*shakes his head after reading all of that.*

Whew...

teach me
08-28-2001, 01:55 PM
sorry about that... Yesterday was the day before school and I was a little bit nervous, which is why I wrote all of that, and after seeing my overwhelming scheduele, I certainly had a right to be nervous.

Now, I was wondering if people who make lengthy games like I am trying to, do they simply post them on the internet, or do they try to maket them? I have no intention of marketing my rpg; it is purely for experience.

Teric
08-28-2001, 02:59 PM
I would post them on the internet, not market them. It's tough to market something when you don't have an audience for it, and (like me) don't have any marketing experience.

Just post it out on the web somewhere, and let people try it out & give you feedback. With that information, you can build bigger & better, build up an audience, then start marketing the really good stuff.

teach me
08-29-2001, 07:55 PM
Alright, thanks.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum