Need some help

Billybob54
08-28-2001, 08:26 PM
I know very little codes for visual basic and I am intrested in makeing games with it. What would be a good way to learn how to make games?

orufet
08-28-2001, 08:34 PM
It sounds like you have very little experience in VB, so I would suggest learning little more about programming instead of starting in games right away...

But if you really want to, the easiest way is to load pictures into Picture Boxes and move the Picture Boxes around the screen. This is, however, the worst way to do it.

The best way is to learn DirectX, which Squirm and I are writing an FAQ on right now....

Jacob Sheehy

JDT
08-29-2001, 03:24 AM
There are books you can purchase on gaming in VB but I would recommend you get a firm understanding of the language before you waste your time jumping into a specialty such as gaming. In the Tutors corner you can fin a thread with many good VB books. Get yourself a good beginners book or take a course on VB.

I believe you can get get beginners books that teach you the language with examples of gaming. You might want to start there.

There are many fine programmers here at VB-Extreme that will help you along your journey so when you run into trouble, don't be a stranger.

Good Luck

JDT

Billybob54
08-29-2001, 08:41 PM
I am taking a class, but it does not deal much with gaming, and that is really what I want to do. I looked at some books at Barnes and Noble, but did not see any gaming books, but I still bought one and am reading it right now.

orufet
08-29-2001, 09:00 PM
To write a good game, you still need knowledge of Visual Basic programming. True, you don't need to be an expert in database programming, but you do need knowledge of loops, API calls, if then statments, etc.

Jacob Sheehy

HarryHarold
08-29-2001, 09:01 PM
Why DirectX you could write 1000 lines of code in direct x to make a little stick figure run around the screen... its pointeless

Candy is Dandy, But Liqour is Quicker

orufet
08-29-2001, 09:04 PM
Alright, so say you want to make a 3D game that will run smooth on any Windows computer. Want to suggest a better method than DirectX?

Jacob Sheehy

HarryHarold
08-29-2001, 09:11 PM
Umm... Api works fine for me. I guess Direct X would work ok its just alot of code writing. Of course ive nevermade a game before and it seems to me Direct X is too Time Consuming
Harry

orufet
08-29-2001, 09:13 PM
API calls are generally too slow and don't have as much power as DirectX. DX isn't so hard once you know it

Jacob Sheehy

HarryHarold
08-29-2001, 09:26 PM
Oh. So thats why all my programs work like a burnt out pento -=D.... Well, maybe I should look into DirectX to see what it has got in store for me. Thanks Ourfet for showing me the light.
Harold

reddragon105
08-30-2001, 06:27 AM
hi, i'd just like to say i'm in exactly the same position as you. i just got VB and i would like to make games with it
there are quite a few tutorials on the net, try vbgames.co.uk for an introduction to how to use directx
also, could you let me know how you're doing and tell me if you find any useful tutorials on the net, or any good books (i really need a book on it) and i will let you know if i find anything useful

Billybob54
08-30-2001, 08:45 PM
reddragon, one thing that I would do If you need a book is just go to a major book store (like barnes and noble) and look all the different books they have for visual basic. Then pick the one out that you think is more what you want. Also I have a question about Direct X. What program do you use to write Direct X code? Is it something that you can do in visual basic?

orufet
08-30-2001, 08:59 PM
Yes, you write DirectX code in Visual Basic. First, you have to set a refrence to it, then you can write away!

Jacob Sheehy

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum