RPG Map Editor

Teric
08-31-2001, 03:12 PM
I read on another thread somewhere that someone wanted an easy way to build a map file for a Final Fantasy style RPG. Well, I created a program that will allow you to draw a map and then save it to an Excel csv (comma delimited) file.

The program uses a .bmp file for the base chipset, and allows you to select chips and place them on a map. The default chip size is 16x16, using a bitmap that has 6 chips per row, and 80 rows, organized into 5 columns of rows (i.e. the standard RPGMaker2000 chipset file). These parameters can be changed to fit any chipset file that you want. In order to change the parameters, go into the Form_Load procedure and change the following variables:

ChipSizeX = 16 'The width of a chip in pixels
ChipSizeY = 16 'The Height of a chip in pixels
ChipsPerRow = 6 'The number of chips per row
ChipsPerColumn = 16 'The number of chips (vertically) per column
ColumnsPerChipSet = 5 'The number of columns in the chipset

I am including a sample chipset so that you can play with the program.

Hey, I've just spent a lot of time putting this together, and I hope it works well. Please play around with it and report any errors to me.

I'm working on an easier way for the user to set up the default chip size and chipset dimensions--I'll include that in the next version.

Enjoy!

BillSoo
08-31-2001, 03:13 PM
Good effort Teric!

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

teach me
09-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Thank you so much for making this map editor!!! Now, I won't have to put up with anyone else's incompetence in the making of my rpg!

Now, I am not as good as a programmer as you are, but the only thing I would suggest, if possible, for this map editor would be a click and drag option to fill large rectangular areas; if not, I'm simply over joyed as it is.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

...One question: How can I save the map I make as a *.bmp rather than a *.csv?

hashir56
09-01-2001, 12:39 PM
I came across alot of good map editors, but can some one tell me how ot load them???????????????????

Teric
09-02-2001, 02:55 PM
Hashir, I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you ask 'How to load them'. Could you explain?

Teach Me, thanks for the good feedback. Yes, I'd like to implement a function to fill or draw full rectangles of tiles. I'll probably put that in the next version.

Saving the map as a .bmp? Hm..... I'll look into that.

teach me
09-02-2001, 09:30 PM
The reason I'd want my maps to be able to be saved as *.bmp's is becuase I'm not using tiles in my rpg; rather a single full screen image as my backgroud, just to tell you why I'd want it that way.

Teric
09-03-2001, 02:05 AM
Well, I'll look into how to save them as a .bmp file. In the meantime, there is a way to cheat and get it into a .bmp file already. Follow these steps:

1. Design your map
2. Press the 'Print Screen' key to take a screenshot
3. Open the standard 'Paint' program, and press CTRL-V to paste the screenshot
4. Edit to taste, then save the file as a .bmp

Voila!

JDYoder
09-04-2001, 09:19 PM
This is very nice, Teric. Good job.

Teric
09-05-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks, JDYoder! I'm glad you like it.

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Teric,
Your tilemap editor is WAY COOL. I can think of a hundred ways to make it even better, but it is very cool for starters. Nice artwork too! Did you do the artwork yourself?

Regards,
Jonathan S. Harbour

Teric
10-22-2001, 01:29 PM
*blush* Gee, thanks, js! No, to be honest, the artwork is not mine. I got it from the RPGMaker 2000 chipset. However, I built the map maker program to be able to use any chipset, so you can very easily use your own.

Teric
10-29-2001, 07:57 AM
I have updated the RPG Map Editor. It now includes these tools:

-Box Fill: click and drag a box to fill a rectangular area with tiles
-Grabber: click on a tile in your map to 'grab' it and make it the currently selected tile
-Fill: Fill in an area with the selected tile
-Erase: Erase a tile from your map
-Set Sizes: Allows you to set the size of your map and tweak the size of your tiles and your chipset to accomodate different chipset formats.

Please, let me know what you think! I worked pretty hard on this. :-)

wild wolf
10-29-2001, 09:03 PM
hehe if u dont mind, how do we run this game coz when i load a map it tells chipset not found, do i have to change some settings or the code? looks interesting images/icons/cool.gif

Teric
10-30-2001, 07:50 AM
When a map file is saved, it saves within it the path to the chipset .bmp file. It will say 'chipset not found' when the chipset file is not in that path. This is not a problem--if you load a map and it says 'chipset not found', simply load the chipset file from where it is located and you will see the map just fine.

wild wolf
10-30-2001, 08:59 AM
yeah i got that thanx

JDYoder
01-25-2002, 03:45 AM
Here's a big *BUMP* :)

Teric -- I have a friend asking for an example of something like this, and I remember from long ago that I was impressed with this one of yours. So could you reattach this map editor of yours? Thanks. :)

Kitaiko
01-25-2002, 06:11 AM
ok i have a good idea, y dont you make a game that has a web browser in it, then make it go to a site which you have made and then copy the pic in the browser to a pic box, and save it. If you make the picture a little map, and then use get pixel, to see wat bits are in the pic, and you could use different colors to represent different objects.

Teric
01-25-2002, 07:49 AM
You got it, JD. Here's the latest & greatest:

JDYoder
01-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Looks great, Teric! However, I was wondering if it'd be possible for you to include a 1 or 2 chipsets, and maybe a couple maps also? :)

Teric
01-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Ok, I'll see what I can do, JD.

Teric
01-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Ok, I've included a chipset (MapChips.bmp) and two simple maps (Map1.csv and Map2.csv).

JDYoder
01-25-2002, 09:44 AM
Perfect! Thanks much! :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum