Career in the Gaming Industry

Teric
09-14-2001, 02:19 PM
I am seriously interested in getting a job in the gaming industry. Anyone here have a gaming career? If so:

-How did you get your job?
-What experience was the company looking for?
-What are you doing in your current job?
-What skills are used in your job and in the jobs of your peers?

I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. Thanks in advance!

Garrett Sever
09-14-2001, 03:50 PM
I hope you're ready to put in 80+ hours a week, get no sleep, and live on coffee, adrenaline, and fast food.

Most professional game designers work like this... I have a friend working on the XBox in Microsoft, and he's seen the hell game designers live through first-hand.

Regards,
-<font color=purple>The Hand</font color=purple>

<font color=green>All your code are belong to us...</font color=green> images/icons/tongue.gif

Spectre
09-15-2001, 07:19 AM
Go work for 3DRealms [I almost said Apogee.. *snif* the old Apogee days are gone.. anyhow] they are supposedly really lax and from what I've heard, they don't set insane deadlines and such. Perhaps that is not true, but I had heard a few years back that they were extremely laid back there. :)

Sortarius
09-16-2001, 12:53 PM
&lt;g&gt; Hand, I work with a girl whose uncle is making some of the games for the XBox now. I too am trying to get into the business as a game designer, but doing it the hard way. I have a game on paper that I want to be designed...but it would take sooooo much more than what little I know to be able to make it, that I am still trying to get in the door to talk with a large company about it. I wont bore with the details, so far its been all dead ends anyway...
Just wanted to try to answer Teric's Qs as best I could...
After talking with this guy for quite some time (and he has made some games that you would recognize if I told ya), he said that when he first started, he got lucky and went to work for a company working on one of the games that they were trying to make. He said that he did this for about three years, when (I dun remember if it was the same company or another one) came to him and said that they were having a problem with their newest game, and if he would basically fix it. The game, after he stepped in, became an arcade smash. From then on, he formed his own company and has been working on games that he wants for a good number years now. Now, he has been working with Microsoft's to a) finish the XBox, and b) make a game for the platform (that I know of, could be more than one). Thus, for what I want to do, he said that the best advice that he could give me was to get very good at something, it didnt really matter what it was; art, programming C++, etc. etc. etc. Then, submit my resume everywhere...three are always holes to be filled in the larger game companies (and trully, I have seen a number of adds on some sites, like blizzard, bungie, etc.). Once you get in and work on a game of their choice for a few years...then you have a lot more say about what you do next in your life.

Hope this...long...reply helps. Sorry if typos, falling asleep and cable is failing to no time to run spellchecker.
Sort

quos deus vult peredere prius dementat

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 02:08 PM
You have to start as an entry-level programmer and be willing to work minimum wage on grunt work that none of the other game programmers want to do...like testing, QA, pizza runs.... Seriously, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

The best way is to start with a small company. Don't bother with any of the huge development houses...forget it. Start with a small company in a small town somewhere, because game programmers are hard to find in rural areas, and you are more likely to get a job. You might be surprised at how informal the process is...usually an owner, a support person who does the bills, etc, and then a few programmers and artists.

Small dev companies are the best when you want to get your foot in the door. I got started at Semi-Logic in Palo Cedro, California (up north by Redding). I haven't worked there for years, but I helped a good friend get a job there since I know the owner. Their last game was Real War, and it's pretty cool. Again, you would be surprised at how easy it is to get in the business if you think of it like any other job. You need certain skills, and must be willing to start at the bottom. No one is going to look at any game ideas you have! Your best bet is to create a few cool demos of code you have written, using WinAPI and DirectX. Plus, big bonus, if you have written any Game Boy code that runs in an emulator....the GBA dev stuff is free on the web (check out the GBA dev kits for GCC).

If you want to meet some cool people in the industry, check out my Pocket PC game programming list at yahoogroups. There are some Embedded Visual Basic programmers on the list who are writing games.

Regards,
Jonathan S. Harbour

Squirm
10-24-2001, 08:00 AM
Apogee...... they rule(d) !!!!!!!

Computer_Guy
10-30-2001, 02:49 PM
You know what? You could probably work with a small team of programmers, at which point you could work your way up, but anyway, just remember a little something, everyone says to do what you love to do, which is good, but just keep this in mind(and this is why I'm not going to program games), If you're told what to program and how it has to be done, you won't enjoy doing it anymore. But if you really wanna give it a shot, I wish you all the luck in the world

You fear what you do not understand

wild wolf
10-30-2001, 09:54 PM
iam also a trainee in a company the programs games and beleive me or not, its sleep programing, eat programing, think programing and live for programing images/icons/laugh.gif

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum