Help me build a rpg!

emnbiz
09-20-2001, 01:01 PM
Hi I would like to know the best way to start off a simple RPG?

Jimm bob

Squirm
09-20-2001, 01:23 PM
You might want to look at this first:

RPG 'tutorial' (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gp&Number=45437&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&part=)

emnbiz
09-20-2001, 01:33 PM
Gee thanks...........

Jimm bob

Garrett Sever
09-20-2001, 01:40 PM
There is more than enough material to help you get started here in the Games section (Make sure you change the timeframe to more than a week) and in the code library. BillSoo's TileMap demonstration comes immediately to mind.

If you are new to VB and don't know what the letters "API" stand for, I suggest you start with something more basic than a RPG... like a pong game.

Regards,
-<font color=purple>The Hand</font color=purple>

<font color=green>All your code are belong to us...</font color=green> images/icons/tongue.gif

emnbiz
09-20-2001, 01:45 PM
Hey dude its possible to be able to make a 3d game on vb right ?

Jimm bob

Squirm
09-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Yes, but only really with DirectX, and it is very powerful.....

Garrett Sever
09-20-2001, 02:47 PM
I believe we are being baited.

I also believe this will be my last post to emnbiz.

<font color=green>All your code are belong to us...</font color=green> images/icons/tongue.gif

Squirm
09-20-2001, 03:06 PM
Maybe, I suspect so, but rest assured that very very few people on this board would be duped into doing his work for him. The 'question' is so vague there wouldnt be much we can do.....

Believe me, mate, DirectX is a tricky topic, and really for the more advanced programmer. Getting things started is easy, and can give the false impression that it is all easy. In reality, most of the coding of a game is very very hard, and also tedious. You have to know the code inside out, and be so dedicated otherwise you waste your time. If you are new to VB, get a grasp of the language before you move into games, then maybe start with Tic-Tac-Toe ??

Nobody here is going to do anything more than point you in the right direction. Most of us are VB hobbiests, we dont have the time to do any substantial work for anyone else, unless they specifically deserve it. For the ocassional small problem, you will find us most helpful indeed............

emnbiz
09-20-2001, 07:24 PM
Ok im sorry if I seemed as if I wanted u to do my work for me cause that was not what I meant. and thanks cause all I need is to be pointed in the right direction. and with the 3-d thing I was just curios if it was possilble I dont wanna make one I wanna make a game that looks like snes.

Jimm bob

Computer_Guy
10-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Hey, I kinda resent that, I don't know what "API" stands for, and I'm building an RPG with no problem at all, but what does it stand for?

Garrett Sever
10-07-2001, 10:35 PM
API Definition (http://www.cnet.com/Resources/Info/Glossary/Terms/api.html)

If you are using BillSoo's Tilemap program, and you're using BitBlt, you're using the API. Of course if you just cut & pasted his code and never really took the time to learn what BillSoo did, then I can understand how the API snuck into your game without you knowing. images/icons/frown.gif

Without a problem, eh? considering the sheer quantity of the posts (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/bbs/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Computer_Guy&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts) you've made, primarily to this forum, I'd say that we've helped you down that road a bit.

Computer_Guy
10-08-2001, 10:06 AM
Actually, I haven't even started the map part of my game, I'm just at the title screen, the status screen, I've yet to draw my tileset, but anyway, I just don't know what API stands for, though I've probably used it under some other kind of name. And BillSoo's program did a lot of things that are different than what I'm going to do, so I'm not merely cutting and pasting this thing, I've actually learned how this works. But is an API a function that you declare? Because I remember looking at his code, and seeing something under Option Explicit for that

BillSoo
10-08-2001, 12:24 PM
Application Programmers Interface (API) functions are built into the windows operating system and are usually found in DLLs like User32, Kernel32 and GDI32, which are the core DLLs that windows uses. The API gives us a way to hook into these internal windows functions, but we have to declare each function before we use it.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Computer_Guy
10-08-2001, 05:36 PM
Thank you for clearing that up, because after you sent me your tile program, I had to download one of those annoying DLL files, which I so passionately hate. But Thank you for telling me how to use API's, and what they stand for

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 11:53 AM
API = Application Programming Interface

not programmer's.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum