Can someone please help me?

emnbiz
09-26-2001, 07:56 AM
Ok How would I got about making a side scrolling game such as sonic the hedgehog or most of the sega classic games?

Jimm bob

Neil_Knight
09-26-2001, 09:59 AM
Going back to your other post, I'll show you how to make side scrolling games etc. Depends on what you have planned for your RPG???

Neil

emnbiz
09-26-2001, 12:24 PM
Ok for my rpg I want one main char and no random battles I want it to be like Secret of mana can u help me make it?

Jimm bob

Teric
09-26-2001, 12:54 PM
Making an RPG in VB is no easy trick. You not only need to have good programming skills, you also need to have some good ideas to make the RPG (i.e. story, characters, events, items, locations, conflicts, etc.) There is a LOT involved in making an RPG.

If you are new to the realm of game programming, I would suggest you start with some simple games, like pong.

Just my 2 cents.

emnbiz
09-26-2001, 01:54 PM
Ok umm I know what of rpg I want to make al start and simple one just to get the hang of it and to tell u the truth I hate pong....... so ya know could ya help get started with a small one like in scret of mana or could ya help me with a side scrolling action game like street fighter or Meta Slug X ok?

Jimm bob

Garrett Sever
09-26-2001, 02:01 PM
Teric,

LOL!!! ROFL!!!! Read THIS (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gp&Number=51183&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&part=) suggestion I made to Mr. IWannaCodeAnRPG a week or so ago.

-<font color=purple>The Hand</font color=purple>

<font color=green>All your code are belong to us...</font color=green> images/icons/tongue.gif

Squirm
09-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Mr. IWannaCodeAnRPGAndAPlatformGameAndA3DGame ..........

Teric
09-26-2001, 03:29 PM
Doh... I should have realized. Yes, I saw that thread a week ago, though I didn't post on it. I didn't put 2 and 2 together to see that it was the same person. :-)

BillSoo
09-26-2001, 04:41 PM
OK, that's enough....it's possible that he is posting in earnest. That he really does want to make an RPG etc. But since he has little VB experience, he doesn't know how big of a job it would be.

In simple terms then:

Yes, you can use VB to make an RPG. No, it will not be easy and it could require *years* of work for one (good) programmer to do. That's why games are done by teams nowadays.

I don't want to discourage you from trying. After all, that's how you learn. But you have to try first before you ask us for help.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Squirm
09-26-2001, 06:49 PM
Bill - this guy wants to make an RPG, a side-scroller, AND a 3D game! And he has already stated that he is pretty new to VB......

go buy yourself a good VB book mate........... once you have got non-graphical games under your belt, then try simple graphics using pic boxes. Later, move onto API, and then maybe DirectX.

Anyone can code a decent LOOKING game, but what use if it doesnt function at all?

emnbiz
09-26-2001, 07:57 PM
Ok Ok I one to make one of them I was posting the ideas cause I wanted to see if anyone would help so I guess not and plus I do have a good vb 6.0 book its called mastering Vb and i have been reading it.

Jimm bob

orufet
09-26-2001, 08:10 PM
Good! I have 3 good VB books and still looking to buy more once I finish going through the one I just bought. And I still consider myself too young and not good enough to make a game. I started to learn DirectX a while ago, then decided that I would be able to lean much faster and better once I had more programming experience. That's why my big project now is an open source HTML editor, instead of a 2D car racing, maze game....(which was my first idea for what I wanted to do with VB...)

Once I'm satisfied with Swifty, I'll move on and to some database work, maybe some VBA, and in about a year or so, THEN I will attempt to fulfill my original dream with some VB friends that I hope to make at school....

Remember, there is always a bigger fish...(There is always more to learn, a bigger project to tackle)

"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by orufet on 09/26/01 08:16 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

andrewbean41
09-28-2001, 07:41 AM
right ive read those replies i was wondering if you could tell me how to design pong.

"It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."

Ad1
09-28-2001, 07:44 AM
try searching this forum for pong there have been lots of posts about it in the past

emnbiz
09-28-2001, 02:33 PM
Hey now I like my 900 mastering Vb book its helpful and I have 4 cdroms librarys of help for versionb 6.0 dont u think that would help me Alot?

Jimm bob

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 01:20 PM
Guys, I completely disagree with your responses to newbies on this board. I've seen a lot of you laugh and make fun of the newbies, and then go and post something a few minutes later about how you "added a PictureBox control array..." to do your game. Come on, that is newbie stuff too. Be nice to the newcomers who are asking questions. Everyone has to get started somewhere, and has to build enthusiasm before investing a lot of time into something new like game programming.

It will not take "years" to make a cool RPG. All you need is a decent game library that handles all the muck for you. Once that is done, you can focus on game design, and build it the way you want.

When you think about an RPG, you have to make a design decision early on. Will it be a scrolling map or a fixed map (like Zelda)? A fixed map has a lot of advantages in making the game easy to program. You just store a tilemap for each screen and load it up. With no scrolling to worry about, it is pretty easy to move a little guy around on the screen to fight monsters. In a scrolling map, you have to keep track of a GlobalX and GlobalY value for each character or monster, and then determine when they are visible on the screen (so that they must be drawn). It adds a huge level of complexity. So if you are just getting started, I would recommend you build a "RPG 1" that is fixed, and then completely finish the game. That is the important thing: always finish what you start! Then, after you have built one complete fixed-screen RPG, start to finish, tackle a scrolling game. The problem is that so many gamers will start working on a game, then think of something new that is more fun to work on, and never really finish anything. No matter how much you think your game will suck, at least finish it so you can say you did it! Then move on from there. You will be surprised at how happy you feel after finishing just one complete game. And shocked at how much you learn in the process. So many "games" that people work on are demos of something cool they thought of over a weekend, and then dropped.

The book I'm writing now has 18 chapters of theory on game programming with VB, and then 6 chapters dedicated to building complete games. While I spent a good 4-5 months on the game library for the first 18 chapters, each of the actual games only took me about a week to build from scratch, including multiplayer code. It's all in the game library, baby! Here are the genres that I'm working on: classic arcade game, scrolling shooter, role-playing game, turn-based strategy, space exploration, and real-time war game. Two of the games are WinAPI, while the rest are DirectX. Be sure to pick up the book in January 2002.

Regards,
Jonathan S. Harbour

Squirm
10-24-2001, 07:59 AM
Nice reply....... I thought I'd better add my two pence.....

This forum gets a lot of people who start their posts with 'I am very new to Visual Basic' and 'I want to become a games programmer' .........

Now, you're writing a book about game programming in VB you say, and I would guess you have a decent knowledge of the VB language as a whole. I expect you are competent at writing applications other than games, to a high standard. Some of the people who come to these forums are not. They do not know a lot of the basic syntax. Many have never even programmed ANYTHING in ANY language in their life. They only know how to arrange a form to look nice in the IDE.

There is a lot to programming. We must learn things like the different kinds of loops and their advantages/disadvantages, error handlers, global and private variables, different types of module (.bas, .cls, .frm), and different approaches to the problems (API, DirectX, picturebox array).......

A person will come along, read your book, and then copy what you have coded. Sure, they might change this and that, but if they are new to VB they will learn NOTHING, they will merely be copying and it will be in essence your code. Plus, the reader might get the idea that they are now a great games programmer, when they are NOT.

Sure, games programming is cool, its great fun, but it is HARD to make anything half decent (I should know, I'm coding a 3D directX management game). When I first bought VB, I tried making a game and failed miserably. I spent another year learning the ins and outs of the language and whats going on inside the PC...... and only NOW am I going back.

So, you wanna make games, go learn your language, make simple games first (nokia snake game) and THEN have a go at a simple RPG. Don't jump in at the deep end, you'll only be wasting your time........

Banjo
10-24-2001, 10:52 AM
I think that the reason we get so many wannabe games programmers is that when you are learning for the sake of learning it is very hard to come up with a decent project. This is equally true of bedroom programmers and students.
If you were trying to think of an idea for a program then what is the first thing that comes to mind, a database app (?) or a game.
I spent 5 years in total studying computer science. In all that time I didn't learn that much. I would say that in the year and a half of working in the real world I have learnt 20 times more about practical programming and software design then I learnt in Education. The reason is that I have got fixed requirements that must be met and users who couldn't care less for the reasons why I can't do something. They just want it done. These pressures force you to find different solutions to problems and this is how you learn quickest.

I thoroughly agree with Squirm. Get at least a year or two of real experience before trying a game.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum