VB Helps

SharpSh00ter
10-02-2001, 10:29 PM
Can someone help me make a solitaire game. I want it to kinda be like the orignal one on Windows but with like a dealer dealing cards to u. can someone please help me or send me some Urls in were i can learn to program?

orufet
10-02-2001, 10:55 PM
Programming a game can require lots of work, time, and knowledge. I would not suggest trying to make a game until you fully understand loops, differect ActiveX controls, subs and functions, not to mention lots of APIs and a whole bunch of other things. If you are still really keen on making a game as your first project, remember that it's going to be a diffucult task. Doing a search on google for "VB game tutorials" or something like that should get you a few good sites. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, and I'm sure you'll get a good answer from one of the programmers on this forum.

"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire

SharpSh00ter
10-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Do i need some type of program to write VB? Or can i just use like a text-editor to program in VB? If i need some programs were can i get the?

orufet
10-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Visual Basic is a language and a program. You cannot write a program in VB without the software from Microsoft. VB is your editor and your compiler; it's a complete programming enviroment

"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire

BillSoo
10-03-2001, 04:03 AM
If you don't have VB, then this forum probably can't help you.....

If you do get a copy, then I would suggest you take a look at www.planetsourcecode.com. There are a number of card games there written in VB.

Alternatively, you may decide to use some other language, in which case, I wish you good luck,

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 01:27 PM
Sharp,
If you are just getting started, Visual Basic is definitely the BEST language with which to start programming games! Absolutely no question about it. First, you need the compiler. You can search around the web to find the free version of VB5. It is called the "Control Creation Edition, and shorthand is VB5CCE. It's hard to find, because Microsoft no longer supports it. But maybe some fan site will have it for download. You can use the VB5CCE to write complete games in VB, and it's pretty much the same as VB6, but you can't compile EXEs.

As an alternative, you can pick up the Visual Basic 6.0 Learning Edition for $109 at Microsoft's site, or from a distributor. The learning edition comes with a CD-ROM that teaches you the language. Then, if you decide that you want to stick with VB, you can upgrade to the full version later. In the meantime, you will be able to learn VB and work on some simple programs.

Regards,
Jonathan S. Harbour

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum