Fantasy Battle Arena Simulator -- Sign Up!

JDYoder
10-03-2001, 10:52 AM
A while ago, I posted this and I've had lots of good responses as it's becoming more of a reality. I'm posting again as a reminder to let the VB game programmers here know it's Open Source Code, so if you're interested in getting some RPG-like code, or are just interested in RPG's then sign up to play!

In a nutshell, you create RPG-like characters (from so many spend points) to participate in various tournaments (which you'll also specify) for each gaming session to fight against the characters submitted by the other players. The trick is to maximize your spend points, making your char better than the others.

You'll see no graphical display of the fight, but you'll get a log which will give you a play-by-play of combat, so you'll better know how to improve your char, because as you win battles, you gain more exp points to spend on your char, making them better for the next battle session.

To whet your appetites, here's a Beta background screen for the character creator program with which you'll make your characters, and that you'll get the open source code to...

ftp://24.220.45.2/jdy/y.gif

Just drop me a line at jyoder7@hotmail.com with the subject "Battle Arena" and I'll sign you up. I estimate the whole thing to be up and running in about a month. Or feel free to ask any question you may have here on this thread.

Squirm
10-03-2001, 02:36 PM
Looking good JD, I take it its a fantasy RPG (barbarians, wizards, and elves).

JDYoder
10-03-2001, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Squirm! And I hope you think it looks good enough to sign up as we'd love to have you! :) (We have 25+ people so far -- had 4 more sign up in the past two days!) And yeah, it's a fantasy RPG, with the three examples you mentioned and more!

You have so many points to spend on weapons, armor, stats, and special abilities, so you have to be selective since you can't have everything. Race and class are required which vary, giving you a set number of base stats to build upon (str, dex, con, int, wis, chr) -- each of which plays into the ground rules of combat.

Teric
10-04-2001, 07:36 AM
Hey, JD--

When are you going to finish the Character generator so that we can generate our 'real' characters?

<i>I'm always open for feedback, positive or negative...</i>

Yoda
10-04-2001, 07:46 AM
**Nothing to do with this post**

Teric, in your end statement use straight brackets :

[.i]...[./i] (without the dots)

<font color=green>Do or do not
There is no try</font color=green>

JDYoder
10-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Teric -- It's basically done, in the simply utilitarian sense. So I COULD send it out and have everyone email me their chars, but these things are holding me up...

1) Want to make the char creator look "good" (but this is minor)
2) Want to make it send via FTP since saving every email attachment would suck
3) Someone else has to make me an FTP site for me (he's working on it)
4) Need to finish the battle server first because I'm finding play balance is "off" -- some chars are too tough, and others too weak

So in answer to your question, I'm guessing about a month. Sorry if you're getting bored of waiting. :( But hopefully your interest is still there. :)

JDYoder
10-04-2001, 08:07 AM
Oh yeah, and point 5 and 6 would be that I'm incorporating both experience points to further enchance your char(s) in each following battle session, as well as multiple styles of tournament play.

Both these were outside the scope of what I had originally intended, but I believe necessary in order to keep player's interest from the feedback I've received. The result is I have to change some of the "foundation" of my code in order to accomdomate both ideas, and play balance becomes even harder to figure out.

Teric
10-04-2001, 10:44 AM
Ok, thanks.

(Sig test)

I'm always open for feedback, positive or negative...

Computer_Guy
10-04-2001, 07:33 PM
You know, this has inspired me to do something like that, I have been trying to make an RPG that several people could play...and I think I have it, but anyway, if you need help with the programming, I'll help with what I can, I've only been doing this stuff since September 2000, but I can help out with some stuff, thanx

You fear waht you don't understand

JDYoder
10-04-2001, 10:33 PM
Glad to inspire! And thanks for the programming offer, but at this point, it's down to the nuts and bolts of math, play balance, and structural design. But you're still certainly welcome to join our group as a player and submit ideas -- just drop me a line! And good luck with your own project! :)

Mill
10-05-2001, 06:46 AM
One problem that you may encounter is that with games like these, at lower levels, a brute force fighter is going to tear apart any magic user or theif. But at higher levels, mages can get close to invincible. That's why in multi-player games, you build mixed groups so that the fighters can protect the mages early on and then, as the mages gain experience, they can dictated a lot of battles on their own.

You can create practice battles or something to help characters gain exp. without getting slaughtered though.

Just a few points to ponder, which you've probably already tackled.
images/icons/smile.gif

"The LORD is my strength and my shield" - Psalms 28:7

JDYoder
10-08-2001, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Mill. I'm finding game balance in general to be a bit difficult to coordinate. Team playing's been mentioned in the past, and could be integrated, so we'll see what everyone else thinks once the ball gets rolling. BTW, like your verse! And feel free to sign up if you'd like.

Teric -- if you're still following this thread, it's not impossible that it'll be ready as soon as two weeks from now. I was able to put a lot of time to it yesterday, so all I have left is the FTP stuff (which I've found won't be too difficult -- I'm just waiting on the site), the various tournaments, and game balance.

And also, for this next, actual working version, I'll be content with making the interface "OK" rather than great (no full blown graphics this time around) so the ball can get rolling on this thing.

Teric
10-08-2001, 08:00 AM
Sounds Good, JD. Please keep me posted.

I'm always open for feedback, positive or negative...

Mill
10-08-2001, 09:09 AM
I'm not suggesting team games, really, but maybe have magic users start out at higher levels or gain experience more easily so that they don't get decimated the first time they fight against a fighter. Likewise, you'd have to give the fighters some kind of magic weapons/shields at higher levels so that a high-level mage doesn't throw a fireball up his *** and *POOF* no more fighter. LOL

One thing you could do is to make a healing spell at level 1, and then the more pure a magic user is, the more spell points he'd get, so he could keep healing himself.

Just points for you to ponder...

Yoda
10-08-2001, 09:19 AM
What you also could do is make physical chars a little physical immune and magic chars a little magic immune.

<font color=green>Do or do not
There is no try</font color=green>

JDYoder
10-08-2001, 09:53 PM
Yoda -- It's already been done. :)

As far as game balance in general (to any who may be following this thread) what's your thoughts on this: While I think play balance is good, is it absolutely integral that it be done well throughout?

I ask, because I wonder if some people would intentionally begin and work with "weaker" chars as a personal challenge to themselves? Or does everyone think people will just go for the gusto as much as they can -- seeking a quick climb to the top rather than look for the "path less traveled?"

BillSoo
10-09-2001, 12:26 AM
If you have 50 people enter your contest, you will probably see 51 styles of play.

I would suggest making it the way *you* want it and see if anybody complains.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Mill
10-09-2001, 06:33 AM
I'm not too sure about how your game will be set up. If you can have practice battles against NPC's or even team up with other players against NPC's in order to build up your levels a bit, then the balance wouldn't be quite so critical, because you could decide when your character is well enough equipped for battle.

I was just thinking that if you make it like an Arena, and the first time you use your character is in battle against other players, then it might be difficult to build them up.

So my concerns may or may not be an issue depending on the style of game you're making.

JDYoder
10-09-2001, 08:05 AM
Thanks again for the input. And in relation to what you were saying, Mill, I already set it up so that if you are level 3 or less, you get a few exp points even for battles you lose. But after level 3, you need to watch yourself since you can actually LOSE experience points if you lose more battles than you win.

And I've also thought upon NPC's -- dummy characters may be required at some point, but if we have enough participation, which is what it's looking like, they may not be necessary.

JDYoder
10-09-2001, 08:07 AM
FORGOT TO MENTION!! Check out our website which is looking quite snazzy...

http://www.yodericsbattlearena.cjb.net/

Mill
10-09-2001, 08:55 AM
I like the story line, but since I'm usually only online when I'm at work, I doubt I'd be able to participate too much, but I'd definitely try to check it out. Before I sign up though, I'd want to know what kind of time obligation I'd be getting into.
images/icons/wink.gif

JDYoder
10-09-2001, 09:15 AM
There's no time obligation at all. If you sign up, you can participate in any battles sessions you want, but you certainly don't have to participate in every one. It's just that if you don't, your char will level up slower than the others.

But if you're asking how long does it take to set up a character and submit him for playing, the answer it entirely up to you. Some people will throw together a character in 5 minutes and sent it off, while others will comb thru the every single combat rule, trying hard to maximize their character's potential.

And once a battle session is complete, you have a few choices. One, you can just resubmit your character right away for next time without doing anything more. Two, you can at least see how many battles you won and lost, increase your char stats if you got enough exp, and then resubmit for next time. Or three, you can read each log of each battle your character was in and use that information to best determine how you can make your character better.

So it's really up to you. And if you sign and never play, that's your choice -- it'd be like having an Everquest Account that you never play -- except this one's free. :)

And I don't know if it makes any difference to your situation, but you don't have to be logged on to create your characters. It's only when you submit a character, and receive the tournament results (after the designated time has passed when the Battle Server has processed all submissions) that you need to be online, and that's only for the amount of time it take to download and/or send a few tiny text and graphic files.

Mill
10-09-2001, 09:24 AM
Mostly, I was wondering if the fights take place in real time or not. If they are in real time, then are we talking about a one hour battle or a 5 minute battle?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions, btw, especially since I'm not signed up yet!

JDYoder
10-09-2001, 09:42 AM
No problem! And it's the "yet" that I'm most interested in. ;)

The short answer is definitely NOT in real time. This is NOT live action (when I run the simulator now for 1500 battles, it takes about 30 seconds to process) so you don't even need to be logged on when the tournament is going on. Now for the long answer...

The Battle Server will run at designated times every week. Don't know when or how often, but let's say midnight every Monday and Thursday night. You can submit your character on Sunday, and he'll just sit there and be ready to go with the Battle Server runs at midnight the next day.

Then Tuesday you pull up your char and see how he did. You then resubmit your character whenever you want -- just sometime BEFORE midnight Thursday. So let's say you next submit your char on Tuesday. But Wednesday morning, you decide to change your char's stats and resubmit him. But then Thursday morning, you decide you want a completely new character, so you make a new one and submit him instead.

That's just fine. Whichever character you last submitted will be the one to enter into combat with all the other players. And if for some reason you didn't have time, or forgot to submit a character before Thursday, then no problem. You can always submit him for next Monday. The only disadvantage is that the other players now have a little more exp than you since they DID play.

Make sense?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum