Reversi Game--Take a look

Teric
10-08-2001, 08:05 AM
Boy, this forum has really gotten me going on programming games. I've started just doing things just to see if I can do them.

The attachment here is version 1 of a Reversi (Othello) game that can be played by 2 players. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

No computer AI here--I'm going to make my first attempt at a computer AI in the next version of this game. Any suggestions for someone that has never programmed an AI?

I'm always open for feedback, positive or negative...

Yoda
10-08-2001, 08:10 AM
Here's a suggestion :

turn it into Coding contest #3 !!

<font color=green>Do or do not
There is no try</font color=green>

ChiefRedBull
10-08-2001, 12:12 PM
Fantastic code man! I love the animation. I was gonna try something like this, only do it over the net.

My suggestion would be to add internet IP to IP play capabilities. images/icons/smile.gif

Chief

"How are we to learn, if those that know will not teach... ?" - Me.

BillSoo
10-08-2001, 12:28 PM
I recommend a book called
"Computer Gamesmanship - Elements of Intelligent Game Design" by David Levy

It basically explains about decision trees, the alpha beta algorithm, killer heuristics and other jargon.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Teric
10-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Thanks, BillSoo. I'll go check it out.

BillSoo
10-08-2001, 12:55 PM
If you look on PSC, you will find a number of games using these kinds of methods. Do a search for one called "gomoku" written by myself....

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

Teric
10-08-2001, 01:00 PM
PSC? I'm sorry, I don't understand...

Mill
10-08-2001, 01:03 PM
PSC = Planet Source Code (http://www.planet-source-code.com/).

"The LORD is my strength and my shield" - Psalms 28:7

Laurent
10-09-2001, 09:18 AM
great! the animation is nice!

I'll be amongst the best any minute now !

Teric
01-25-2002, 08:34 AM
Since all the attachments were lost, I'm going to re-attach mine here.

Teric
01-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Ok, I have implemented a simple Artificial Intelligence in this game. You can now choose whether the game is 2 player (i.e. two humans) or one player (human vs. computer).

Please try this out; this is my first attempt at computer AI. Let me know how good the AI is (so far, it hasn't beaten me once... but I'm not sure how to improve on it).

You can look at the computer move priority logic in the 'MakeComputerMove' and 'ComputeMoveValue' procedures.

Enjoy!

Kitaiko
01-25-2002, 07:24 PM
hey this is a great game, good job!

Laurent
01-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Nice Teric! your computer player is pretty good, i actualy loss 30-34!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum