An Old Fashioned Fighting Game

Computer_Guy
10-08-2001, 10:33 AM

Computer_Guy
10-08-2001, 10:34 AM
Oh, PS: If you answer yes, and would like to join in, just leave your name in a reply, and maybe a quick line about something, thanx

You fear what you do not understand

Neil_Knight
10-09-2001, 04:32 AM
Are you coding this in DirectX???

Neil

Computer_Guy
10-09-2001, 08:21 AM
no, I'm not

Squirm
10-09-2001, 08:34 AM
So what method ARE you using?

Neil_Knight
10-09-2001, 08:47 AM
I was just wondering if you were going to use it as thats the only way to get the best results!

Neil

Squirm
10-09-2001, 08:52 AM
I concur......

Neil_Knight
10-09-2001, 09:06 AM
I would certainly like to see the final outcome of a game which isn't written in DirectX. Please keep me informed on this.

Neil

Computer_Guy
10-09-2001, 01:08 PM
Well, I know how to do most of this stuff, since I have most of the pieces, and the code is pretty efficent, so now I just have to put the pieces together

You fear what you don't understand

zero
10-13-2001, 03:03 PM
well i would like to help and it could be done using BITBLT calls.. problem is.. i cant code right now... i can do images and give advice on how to code though
brknskater@aol.com

wild wolf
10-14-2001, 12:02 AM
count me in, very excited

seidreneht
10-15-2001, 08:09 AM
If the game is a 2d one i will be glad to help since i know how to make them. if it is a 3d one then i would like to encourage you with it but i don't think i will be able to help you with my knowledge. But if you take me in to your team i can learn how to make these stuff and help you in the future!

Computer_Guy
10-15-2001, 02:31 PM
Yeah, it's 2 dimensional. I am pretty good with VB as far as a lot of games go, so if anyone is new to VB, and would like to get some kind of start in the gaming department, just ask to join.

Computer_Guy
10-15-2001, 02:33 PM
I'm using just regular VB, and I have most of the games logic and some easy sample code thought out, and it's well efficient even without Direct X, so.... I do look forward to working with it sometime

rodfiuza
10-17-2001, 07:30 AM
Actually, i was thinking in propose the same thing, but looks like you already started. I never done something like that in vb (but i`ve alerady did in c and asm for dos). I think it will help me learn more about some graphical api calls and other.
But why won`t you use directx?

Computer_Guy
10-18-2001, 12:55 PM
Okay, I'm not doing this in Direct X, because I don't know it, so if you say "oh well learn it" I can't as I currently have no access to it at all, but I'm going to learn it very soon, somehow

You Fear what you do not understand

ChiefRedBull
10-21-2001, 12:30 PM
Yo - I'd love to join in. I reckon I could help with some of the image effects, and optimising image handling effieciency.

Count me in.

Chief

Banjo
10-21-2001, 02:55 PM
Count me in too. Anything that's needed.

orufet
10-21-2001, 03:01 PM
I guess I'll help too...I figured "why not"? Sure, this could be fun

jsharbour
10-22-2001, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, I just started browsing this site, and this is my first post. I really like the fact that a lot of members here are not hard-core gamers, but just people learning. Some of the advanced sites (like gamedev.net) are just too intimidating to start a new game like this.

Okay, so, this is right up my alley, because I'm writing a VB game programming book right now, and have developed all the code you need to write just about any GDI or DX game you want. If you guys promise to go and buy the book when it comes out in January, I'll give you a sneak peek on the game library sources. :)

For starters, *DON'T* screw with DirectX for your first game. It's actually kind of easy to use, but you totally need the experience working with WinAPI first! Trust me, the API is fine for a fighting game like this. I've written a couple classes that I used to write a scrolling WWII arcade game (called Warbirds 1944) for the book. It runs at 640x480, with a scrolling tilemap, double buffered, and easily hits 100fps on a decent pc (my test machine is Dell P3-850 laptop with ATI Rage Mobility-M4). The classes are clsBitmap and clsSprite. The bitmap class can load a bitmap file into a DIB using all the nasty WinAPI functions needed to do that....so you don't have to use an ugly PictureBox or Image control in your game for graphics. The sprite class can rip frames out of a bitmap and store them in animation sequences. I just use my bitmap class to create a double buffer, then do all blitting/drawing to the double buffer, and blit the DB every frame. Getting good frame rates out of it. My DirectX classes (DirectDraw7) ran double buffered at 1600x1200 with 500 sprites at 60fps....so, that's what you can aspire to later on. WinAPI can't get near that. :)

Anyways, I wish you guys had a game working already so I could include it with my book, but since you're just starting out, I'd be happy to help and share my code to get you started. I'll have to remember this site and come back more often. I've attached the two classes to this post for your pleasure. Just be sure to give me credit for all the hard work I put into those graphics classes because they were a pain to develop, and took me about a month to fine tune them for the book. Also, if you want to get a hold of all the code developed for my book, along with all the games, join my list by sending a msg to visual-basic-game-programming-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Regards,
Jonathan S. Harbour
Author, "Pocket PC Game Programming"

Teric
10-22-2001, 11:22 AM
Rock on! A professional in the field came to our forum & posted! I'm going to get a look at these classes of his...

Computer_Guy
10-30-2001, 01:57 PM
Yeah, he's a professional, but everything is "my book this" and everything he says is the same thing regardless of the post. But anyway, I'm sort of going with this game still. I say sort of because it's a bit different from what I had intended. I don't think I'll need direct X For this one, though bitblt will probably do the trick, thanx for everything

You fear what you do not understand

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum