VB6 & SQL: reporting problem

Letomski
12-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I have written a VB6 app which stores and picks up data from a sql database, all works fine. Now they need a report. Without buying Chrystal Reports. :mad:

What are my options?

I tried to create an access db with linked tables, query & report but the linked tables are not updated automaticaly. Is there a way of automating the update manager functions of Access?

And how to pass the Variable in the SQL statement of the Access query to generate data for the report?

Any more ideas? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Letomski

Shurik12
12-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Hi,

Have you had a look at the DataReport within VB6 itself?

Shurik.

Letomski
12-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Have you had a look at the DataReport within VB6 itself?

Shurik.

yep , tried it but you really can't make any beautiful forms in that

00100b
12-15-2003, 07:32 AM
There are other 3rd-Party reporting tools that can be used. An example is ActiveReports by Data Dynamics.

As far as linked tables in Access, these linked tables should reflect any changes made to the underlying tables (at least within the timing that SQL Server posts the updates from the Transaction Log).

Any other applications that can use ODBC or OLE/DB (like Excel or Access) could be used for generating reports from an SQL data source.

Another option is to use the Printer object from withing VB. This would take quite a bit of code, but would give you flexibility in what is sent to the printer.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum