Should I create a device manually?

christy2931
12-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi there,

For those that read my last post about upgrading from Access to SQL, you'll be happy to know that I think I've decided it's just as well to take the time and manage my recordsets in code, instead of through data controls.

But having said that, I've also decided that the first step in this whole process is actually getting my Access database upsized to an SQL database. I've done some reading and I think the best way to do it is through the upsizing wizard provided within access. I tried to do this on the fly, without preparing my database, just to see how it would go. It seemsed to go okay, with the exception of my largest table - none of the data in that table upsized for some reason.

So I'm reading a few articles about the steps involved in upsizing a database from access to sql. Given my somewhat limited knowledge of SQL, there are a few things that I'm unsure about, which is slowing me down. :-)

Should I create the database devices manually? Then should I create the databases manually, and THEN upsize to the database that I already created? When I tried upsizing the first time, I just told it to create a new database. What is the best way to do it?

I have a few articles I've been reading, but if anyone has a good fairly easy-to-understand list of steps to take when upsizing, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!!!
Christy
:-)

reboot
12-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I sure wouldn't use the upsize wizard. I'd create the tables I needed in SQL Server, then DTS the data over.

christy2931
12-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Ok, but everything I've read says that the upsize wizard is the best way to go when doing this.

Why would you suggest I don't use it? Just trying to wrap myhead around all this. :-)

Thanks,
Christy

reboot
12-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Well... maybe the upsize wizard is better these days. We tried to use it several years ago and it mostly just made a mess. *shrug*

christy2931
12-15-2003, 01:01 PM
From what I've read, the upsize wizard is pretty good with Access 2000. But who knows - at this point, I figure it's the best way to go given my limited working knowledge of SQL server.

Thanks for the input anyway, reboot.

Anybody else have any ideas, hints, tips?

Thanks!
Christy
:-)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum