Need to convert Huge database.. How?

pillsbury420
12-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Hello all, first time posting on the forums. Anyway, at the company i work for, we have written a document management system. The user creates documents. These documents have scanned images attached to them. One of our customers has an older application that they have been using for the same thing, and they now want to transfer the old data to our database. The old software uses and SQL database too. But the older applications database is like 500MB. I haven't seen the older database but assuming that there are no sequential integer id values for me to do WHERE val > x queries.. how can i transfer this large amount of data to the new database? Do i just select all from a table and loop through the GIANT recordset creating insert's for each record? Will ADO have a problem with a recordset this big? Any ideas on a better way? Thanks in advance to all replies...

tom2knox
12-17-2003, 10:09 PM
use the import export data of the microsoft SQL server...
:D
Hello all, first time posting on the forums. Anyway, at the company i work for, we have written a document management system. The user creates documents. These documents have scanned images attached to them. One of our customers has an older application that they have been using for the same thing, and they now want to transfer the old data to our database. The old software uses and SQL database too. But the older applications database is like 500MB. I haven't seen the older database but assuming that there are no sequential integer id values for me to do WHERE val > x queries.. how can i transfer this large amount of data to the new database? Do i just select all from a table and loop through the GIANT recordset creating insert's for each record? Will ADO have a problem with a recordset this big? Any ideas on a better way? Thanks in advance to all replies...

pillsbury420
12-17-2003, 10:11 PM
These databases are not going to have the same structure. I'll have to figure out which field should go with which.. like which one is the path of the image.. and any other info... the table is probably not going to match.. any other idea's?

reboot
12-17-2003, 10:18 PM
The method you described will work fine. ADO will have no problem with a very large recordset. Just make sure you have plenty of memory on the machine you run it on (assuming you use a client side cursor). Keep in mind that although your database is 500 MB, your recordset will be nowhere near that big.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum