Rude moderators

jsharbour
10-24-2001, 10:00 AM
I was just sent an offensive message by Thinker about *SPAM* that I have been posting to the forums. I thought that I was answering questions and posting up some cool source codes for members, but find that some people do not appreciate that I mentioned my new book in the process. While the book is perfectly suited to the subject at hand, I do not want to support a forum that is censored by rude admins.

I will no longer be participating in this forum as a result.

Good riddance.
Jonathan S. Harbour

Thinker
10-24-2001, 10:27 AM
If anyone would like to know the text of the 'rude' message I sent him, PM
me and I will share it with you. I certainly wasn't trying to insult and I am
sorry that it was received in that way.

In spite of this, I wish Mr. Harbour success.

Garrett Sever
10-24-2001, 11:17 AM
Mr Harbour,

Anyone who has spent an appreciable amount of time in this forum knows how mild and professional Thinker is, and I have to believe that most people will believe him without even needing to see the PM. He's made an insane number of posts, and assisted countless people along the way.

You've made 19 posts, the very first being a scant 2 days ago, plugged your books in over half of them, and severely criticized many people for either their lack of knowledge or for doing things differently than you might have. I think people will see this too and let the truth speak for itself.

I think under the circumstances that Thinker was more than ameable. Your absence will be missed as most of the other API and GDI experts here do not have an interest in game programming, and we really could have used a strong contributor in the games forum. Your contributions were appreciated, and I am saddened that you've chosen to refuse to adhere to the rules of the forum and ostracize yourself from this community.

Banjo
10-24-2001, 01:16 PM
I couldn't agree more, Hand.

Squirm
10-24-2001, 02:37 PM
After having a chance to read the PMs between Thinker and jsharbour, I can say that jsharbour severly overreacted. I found Thinkers post was mainly a welcome message, and praised jsharbour for the help he has tried to give, with a little section on the actual issue of SPAM.

And the reply message was rather rude.......

Ah well, its a real shame, we need all the good game programmers we can get. But, if he decided to leave, thats his business.

images/icons/smile.gif

ChiefRedBull
10-24-2001, 04:32 PM
I did notice one of jsharbours first posts - and it was a little arrogant, bragging about his new book, but i though nothing of it. After all - we all like to boast when we're proud right?

Sorry to see you go so soon jsharbour, but..... your loss.

Chief

Volte
10-24-2001, 04:43 PM
Yeah. When I first started here, I made some pretty spammy posts, and Thinker PMed me a few times and I stopped it. Moderators are there to do exactly that: moderate the forum.

Garrett Sever
10-24-2001, 05:41 PM
That is the point. Many of us (myself included) received private messages from moderators and administrators when we first joined. Not everyone has the "flavor" of this forum exactly right when we first arrive, and it takes a week or two to "grow into" the forum.

And not everyone can endure the growth process, or play by the rules.

Anyways, I think this thread has had just about enough posts to it. Perhaps we should close it out to further posts.

JDT
10-25-2001, 12:58 AM
It does not need to be said but Thinker is NEVER out of line and is an Admin for a very good reason. He is as close to BillSoo as one can get. His PM was very well written and as harmless as he could be.

You were absolutely spamming these forums and only contributing to plug your book. That is a clear violation of the rules and will not be tolerated. Any decent educated human being would realize an apology is in order for an overreaction on your part. This has always been a very friendly site and is the best out there for a reason.

Thread closed

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum