Reporting tools

TorreyKite
12-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone.
I need to pick an easy to use and reliable reporting tool for my VB6 App.
my data is on SQL server 7 with which I'm using stored procedures to pull data for my app. I plan to use the same procedures for my reports.

I've used VB Data Reports before. Working with the Data Environment was great at first. everything was easy to use. But then I started getting an error evertime I attempted to edit the DE in design time. The error crashes Visual Basic. Even if i didn't edit the DE, when I close the project I get an error message. Not fun when your 90% complete and just need to make a few modifications. Also I've had trouble where it seems to leave out records from the reports. This will change from one PC to the next. My SPs return everything, but the reports sometimes leave out the last line (sometimes randome ones). Bad times....

My other option is Crystal Reports 6.0.... :-\ I know it's a very old version which is why I'm posting this message. I also know that CR is the most widely used reporting tool so it must be good.
-Are there any chronic problems that I should know about.
-I assume that it can pull from SPs. is this true?
-my has 3 layers. should the reports be on my UI layer?
-can it get data from a COM object, or a disconnected recordset?
-Are there any others tools that are very cheap/free worth considering.

My company is small and I'm trying to make the most out of what they already have.

Thanks for any advice that you might have for me.
TK :)

Ryan Leng
12-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone.
I need to pick an easy to use and reliable reporting tool for my VB6 App.
my data is on SQL server 7 with which I'm using stored procedures to pull data for my app. I plan to use the same procedures for my reports.

I've used VB Data Reports before. Working with the Data Environment was great at first. everything was easy to use. But then I started getting an error evertime I attempted to edit the DE in design time. The error crashes Visual Basic. Even if i didn't edit the DE, when I close the project I get an error message. Not fun when your 90% complete and just need to make a few modifications. Also I've had trouble where it seems to leave out records from the reports. This will change from one PC to the next. My SPs return everything, but the reports sometimes leave out the last line (sometimes randome ones). Bad times....

My other option is Crystal Reports 6.0.... :-\ I know it's a very old version which is why I'm posting this message. I also know that CR is the most widely used reporting tool so it must be good.
-Are there any others tools that are very cheap/free worth considering.

My company is small and I'm trying to make the most out of what they already have.

Thanks for any advice that you might have for me.
TK :)

We got Crystal Report 7 and 9 in where i work. 9 is absolutely a BIG program. I personally had many buggy experience with CR9 in getting my whole application to packaged with CR9 dependencies. I use InstallShield 9 for packaging and deployment and got Dll failure to register now and then. Merge Modules or not, they just don't like to work sometimes.

MKoslof
12-22-2003, 11:48 AM
brief reply to your inquiries...

My other option is Crystal Reports 6.0....

if you are keen about going with Crystal Reports I would upgrade to 8.5 (if you can still find it) or version 9 new versions are much more SQL compliant (6 is too..but not as integrated) and they run very well with the RDC and ADO..but 6 could get the job done for you.

that's all relative. DLL integration is always a problem, until you get used to using Crystal. Any software has growing pains the first few months you use it.

yes.

For best results, I would say yes...but it depends on what you want to do. But the standard way would be to report off the UI layer

Disconnected recordsets can be tricky, but yes you can. COM object absolutely.

-Are there any others tools that are very cheap/free worth considering

Cheap...depends how you define that :whoops: . There are many other report builders out there..though I am drawing a blank right now on a good one. There are several links posted on the board about other reporting tools. Do research and pick the best one to meet your needs..don't rush into getting Crystal if you think another one will serve you better. But, I am sure Crystal will provide all the functionality that you need.

cathy
12-29-2003, 02:43 AM
I suggest that you try either Intelliview(www.intelliview.com) or Actuate Reportnet (www.actuate.com). Both are good tools

hiteshas
01-03-2004, 05:55 AM
You can even try Active Reports. Its a very easy to use reporting tool and works very well with Visual Basic. You can download it from:
http://www.datadynamics.com
-Cheers.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum