Which timers are smoothest for game speed?

andrewo
10-26-2001, 02:42 AM
In my game i use an api call called sleep which is the kind of timer i am using..but if the computer is running ,say solitaire is running in the background..it will slow down my game..

So i wondered if there any more efficient timers for my game speed?

also i saw somewhere a timer that goes by frame by frame and moves at a certain milliseconds which looked efficent..anyone know what and how to use this?

Squirm
10-26-2001, 08:17 AM
The reason that solitaire slows your game down is that windows has to take time out from running your game to go and take care of solitaire. Just you try playing most commercial games with a few applications running in the background. It doesnt take much to make the flow of the game become jerky. It sounds to me like you are not using DirectX. If you are after real smooth flow and perfect timing then DX is the only way to go, as you control directly how often the screen is refreshed and such and such......

As for an efficient timer, you will find something that I posted in the DX forum in reply to your question.....

Just_Someone4
10-30-2001, 02:20 PM
Why is Direct X so much better than plain VB?

Banjo
10-30-2001, 04:24 PM
Basically, VB was never designed to handle powerful graphics apps. DirectX is. DirectX is both faster and more powerful than plain VB. You could probably get a similar speed though API calls, although nowhere near as easily.
DX also allows device independant use of new hardware feature (the new addition of Transform & Lighting to hardware being a case in point).
Of cource DX isn't just graphics, its input controllers, music, networks as well. Basically its a game designer's toolkit.

BillSoo
10-30-2001, 05:16 PM
As I understand it, DX bypasses the Windows API and goes to the hardware drivers more directly.

Squirm
10-30-2001, 05:33 PM
Yes, DX allows you to play with the PC components almost directly, with a thin OS layer of windows still there to let you do it without getting your hands dirty. Banjo stated it pretty well, its the game designers toolkit.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum