10-30-2001, 07:42 AM
[Wasn't sure where exactly to post this question]
Is this site constantly going down? It was down for me all day yesterday and this morning I keep getting 500 Internal Server Errors? Is it just me? I can still get out to other sites during this down time so I assume it's not, but then I look at the post dates and it doesn't seem like there's been any downtime. Help --tim
10-30-2001, 11:50 AM
Yes, the server goes down periodically, due to a host of reasons. That is the #1 reason I wrote the forum checker application. Find it in the code library.
10-30-2001, 12:14 PM
Just a thought - what are the "host of reasons" Hand??
10-30-2001, 12:51 PM
1) To check when the forum is down
2) To alert me when the forum comes back up
3) Retrieve the post count for various boards so I know whether to browse or not. If there are 50 posts and they're all in VBA and Games, I'm not looking.
4) To facilitate browsing between various boards... by choosing "stay on top" and clicking on the board list, I move from one place to another without going thru the "Main Index"
5) To demonstrate various coding aspects which I have posted over the past few months
6) To flex my pixel-slinging muscles
7) Retain my self respect after relinquishing my "GURU" status.
Is that enough, or should I continue? images/icons/wink.gif
10-30-2001, 01:59 PM
I think he meant what were the 'host of reasons' why the server goes down periodically. images/icons/smile.gif
10-31-2001, 05:36 AM
Yeh VF i did.... I'll rephrase.
"What are the 'host of reasons' that the forum goes down periodically?"
10-31-2001, 06:09 AM
Well, I imagine it boils down to 4 potential problems, all of which have afflicted the server in recent times. In order of frequency (I suppose):
1) Freakin web viruses like CodeRed and Nimda
2) Changing IP addresses & subsequent DNS hang-ups
3) Server just being DOWN or HUNG (or inotherwords a computer)
4) Software updates to the forum