its networking...anyone care to comment`?

e_bluez
11-03-2001, 05:40 AM
Hi there, i've been working on this game-bomberman for a few weeks now. Most of the game i have completed. Now its time for the networking part of this project. I heard from a friend that people here don't really reply to network posts...anyhow, I plan to have a max of 4 players. So i was wondering if anyone would like to give a tip or two. b4 i start. [I know this isn't important enough for a new thread but hope you guys dont mind.]

ChiefRedBull
11-03-2001, 06:42 AM
Heard from a friend?? I reply to most of the network threads on here, as do some of the other experts - Banjo, RObby, Timbo etc.. If we know, you can be pretty sure we'll let you know. images/icons/smile.gif

Right - networking your game. I would advise making up a load of commands - ie "Move Player1 X,Y" or somethig similar. Then, send these commands between the apps using Winsock (Check the Tutors Corner and Code Library for writings on Winsock).
When your app receives a command, it performs an appropriate action - ie moving the player 1 character to the new x,y coords specified.

Chief

Thinker
11-03-2001, 07:47 AM
Is it a turn-based game, or are all players acting in real-time? What Chief
suggests should work great for turn-based, but the biggest problem with
real-time is keeping all players synchronized. I believe that DirectPlay uses
a combination of TCP connected sockets and UDP multicast to make it
possible for 3 or more players to play in real-time and keep them all in
sync. You might even want to look into using DirectPlay.

wild wolf
11-03-2001, 08:17 AM
i think ur idea, chiefredbull, is great, check the co-ordinates of other players and send the data to the server which will send it to the other clients and place the location of the player accordingly. in this case, ur most important thing is ur locations. u also have to put a check on which blocks have been destroyed and which are still visible.

e_bluez
11-07-2001, 02:54 AM
its a realtime game!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum