stoopid question #2

lmb2001
11-04-2001, 07:53 PM
what is an "engine"..how does it work..why are they used,how inportant are they?

wild wolf
11-05-2001, 12:58 AM
ok correct me if iam mistaken,

an engine runs in the background and is used mainly to load large amounts of images files, sounds adn etc, it accelartes the speed of buffering images and sounds, its useful if u use it to run mire than 1 game at a time, u will not be able to see it as it runs in the background, i was wanting to imply an engine for my game but i was told in this very forum that its useless to run it for a single game and i think i will agree with that.

Banjo
11-05-2001, 05:15 AM
An engine is the most important section of code. It makes everything work. Most complicated programs will have more than one engine. Each being in charge of separate parts of the program.
For example, a game might have a graphics engine, an audio engine, a gameplay engine. Most of the engines required for a game can be provided by DirectX. The only one that isn't is the game engine. That's up to you to write images/icons/wink.gif.

wild wolf
11-05-2001, 11:17 AM
tell me one thing, if we run more than one engine, does that require more RAM? Does that slow down ur System?

Banjo
11-05-2001, 11:22 AM
No, an engine is just a logical grouping of code. Its all required for the game to run correctly. You just group bits of it together to make it easier to deal with.

Squirm
11-05-2001, 11:23 AM
To better understand what an engine IS and DOES and is USED FOR, look at this thread, posted by wildwolf himself:

Game Engines (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gp&Number=59796&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=& fpart=)

wild wolf
11-05-2001, 11:28 AM
The main point of using an engine is to allow the game to be as file-driven as possible. The idea is, that the engine is as basic as you can make it. You should try to code a very basic game engine and then actually make the game using tools. For example, rather than having your GUI stored in the .EXE resource file, you load your pictures from an external source. Also, you would not hard-code the location of any of the graphics, or the amount to be loaded. That too should be file driven. Some may even go to the extent that you should never hard-code the game's AI or physics, and use a scripting language like VBScript, or develop your own, and then load the physics/AI from file. All this leads to a much more customisable and re-usable system. It is also beneficial for developers working in teams, as the work on the graphics, AI, sound, and other things, can go along while the engine is still being developed.

The reason behind all this is to make a more re-usable engine, so that you can easily produce new games/sequels, and so that other coders may develop mods for the game (CounterStrike for example). This is made possible through using a lightweight engine and relying on a file-driven game.

Happy coding.

words of Squirm himself, thanx buddy alot, my whole game was made using the help i get here

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum