Another crazy database field question

Tacticious
01-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Okay here is my delima:

I have a contacts list and a birthday list. The contacts list allows someone to add a contact, but no wishlist. The birthday list displays a person's name, their bday, and their wishlist. The only way to add a wishlist is by using the birthday list form.

How would I make it so that there is a listbox that displays multiple wishlist items for one person? The field 'Wishlist' is in the same table as the name and birthday, and I want to make it so that adding a wishlist item will add it directly into the recordset that's already made but has the blank wishlist value. Then, if they have more than one wishlist item, it will display all the wishlist items until another person's name is shown. How would I do this?

Dennis DVR
01-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Okay here is my delima:

I have a contacts list and a birthday list. The contacts list allows someone to add a contact, but no wishlist. The birthday list displays a person's name, their bday, and their wishlist. The only way to add a wishlist is by using the birthday list form.

How would I make it so that there is a listbox that displays multiple wishlist items for one person? The field 'Wishlist' is in the same table as the name and birthday, and I want to make it so that adding a wishlist item will add it directly into the recordset that's already made but has the blank wishlist value. Then, if they have more than one wishlist item, it will display all the wishlist items until another person's name is shown. How would I do this?

you should put your wishlist in another table since it is one to many records. "person with more that 1 wish"

Tacticious
01-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Okay here is my delima:

you should put your wishlist in another table since it is one to many records. "person with more that 1 wish"

How would I make it so that one person's wishes were displayed with him all the time? Like when they click to see the next person, it won't just show the same wishes..

MKoslof
01-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Have you reviewed any of the wonderful code samples in the knowledge base or have you reviewed the frequently asked database question thread located at the top of this database forum as I suggested?

There are many examples of creating a new database, using ADO code, everything that a beginner needs to get his/her feet wet.

Have you tried to code this yet? If so, what code do you have?

Rekd
01-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Personally, I think one wish list per person is sufficient. You start giving these guys multiple lists and they start expecting the extras. Selfish I know, but oh well.

Create a seperate table for the wish lists, then link them to the person.

'Rekd

Tacticious
01-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Personally, I think one wish list per person is sufficient. You start giving these guys multiple lists and they start expecting the extras. Selfish I know, but oh well.

Create a seperate table for the wish lists, then link them to the person.

'Rekd

How do I link them to the person?

Yeah I've reviewed all of the FAQs at the top of the DB forums but none help.

Dennis DVR
01-11-2004, 07:19 PM
your wishlist table sould have two columns PersonID, Wish to link this table on your birthday table you need a join operator i.e

select [person name], birthday from birthday left join wishlist on wishlist.personid = birthday.personid where birthday.personid = blah... blah...

Tacticious
01-16-2004, 05:42 PM
That went way over my head...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum