S_s_s_sslow Access

noi_max
01-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Hello

I have a application using an Access Database that works good on my local machine. I have other computers here than can access the mdb file over a network, but that's where things really slow down.

I'm using an ADO connection and I have no databound controls, just a bunch of SQL queries.

Here's my connection string

sConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source =" & strSettingFile & ""

strSettingFile is a variable holding my path and mdb file.

any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Max

loquin
01-12-2004, 01:02 PM
An access query is ALWAYS client-side, as there's no DB server. This means that an ADO query must copy the entire table to the target machine, then run the query locally. Queries with multiple tables must make a local copy of all the tables involved before the query can run.

On a local machine, the same thing is taking place, but all the data is transferred internally, therefore the query runs much faster.

I once had an access query that was updating 300 records a second when the data file was on the C: drive slow down to 1.5 records a second over the network.

noi_max
01-12-2004, 01:18 PM
So does this mean I'm stuck with slow access or is there a work around or different connection?

00100b
01-12-2004, 01:25 PM
You could try to move the MDB file to a file server that has a little more "umph" to it or you could switch to something like SQL Server, which is a server based DB Engine that supports server-side cursors.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum