Converting Access to MSDE

noi_max
01-13-2004, 09:22 AM
I posted a question a while back about improving speed over a LAN with Access as a back end. After reading quite a few posts and articles it seems that I should give up this fight and convert to MSDE. I suppose my question now is what will it take?
I downloaded MSDE and installed it and that's as far as I got. Is there any articles or help on this paticular matter that one of you has a link to?

How much of a learning curve are we talking about?

My current VB front end is nearly finished. I'm using ADO and SQL queries (hopefully workable in a new database)

I had no idea Access was going to be such a dog over the LAN here. I thought with only 3 users I'd be ok. Guess I shoulda stayed clear from Access altogether. :(

Optikal
01-13-2004, 09:44 AM
You will need to get your hands on some kind of database administration tools. You can get a trial version of SQL Server and use its Enterprise Manager to administer MSDE, or you may even be able to buy the administration tools separatly. there are also 3rd party tools you can use that should support importing mdb's, just search this forum and/or google.

noi_max
01-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Would it be wise to download and install the SQL Server trial version after I've already installed MSDE2000?

loquin
01-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I believe using the Enterprise Manager & Query analyzer from the trial package to develop MSDE databases is a license violation. You can buy the SQL Server 2K developer edition for less than $100 though, and legally develop databases & apps. If your app will be installed though, the client will need to buy SQL Server or separately install MSDE. I don't believe that the developer edition is legal to use to develop internal apps which will use MSDE though.

For an admin tool, I suggest buying ($29 US) MSDE admin from www.msde.biz. It's a very useful SQL Server administration tool - sort of like an enterprise manager lite. Although you can download a free query analyzer from msde.biz, it's pretty buggy. I would suggest Query Express - a free query analyzer available for download from http://www.albahari.com/

QE works with SQL Server, Oracle, or any ODBC compliant database. I've used it with Oracle 8i, Oracle 7.3.4, Access 2K, SQL Server 2K and MSDE 1 (SQL 7)

Both the tools I mentioned aboce require the .Net framework be installed on your PC, and they both post the MS link to get the download.

Microsoft has an Access Upsizing tool that you will want to use. It will convert your Access database to a SQL database.

As far as your code, the main thing you'll need to keep in mind is that the date delimiter in SQL is the apostrophe ('), not the #. Plus, if you've used any functions within the SQL queries, you may need to adjust them to fit SQL server language specs.

noi_max
01-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I found an upsizing tool for my access 97, and I will probably check out the MSDE.biz tools. If all goes well then I will have everything I need in no time.

Hopefully I can make this a smooth transition.

Thanks for the help!

Max

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum