How do I add DLL Entry Points

DjJazzy
01-18-2004, 05:44 PM
I am new to Visual Basic .NET but not to Visual Basic Programming. At presant, I am trying to build a DLL with entry points to various Functions. I can not seem to get the entry points to work when adding them to Custom Actions under Install. Is there some code I am leaving out in my Classes/Modules that's needed, because when I build my Solution/DLL, I get an error: entry point SendData noy found in module etc. SendData is the name of the Function. i.e.
Public Function SendData(ByVal DataToSend as String) as Boolean
'My Code
End Function
Can anybody help. Thanks in advance,
DjJazzy.

Optikal
01-18-2004, 05:51 PM
It sounds like your trying to make a DLL that you call using the stdcall calling convention (ie the C++ DLL method). VB does not allow you to build these types of DLL's. You must interact with VB DLL's using object oriented coding (ie you must create an instance of a class contained in the DLL, then call methods of the instance).

reboot
01-18-2004, 05:57 PM
And you couldn't do this in VB6 either.

DjJazzy
01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for your insight.
Basicly your saying, in VB.NET, I can not build\make DLLs that are the same as API DLLs and use API calls like :-

Public Declare Function SendDataA Lib "C:\MYDLL.dll" _
Alias "SendData" (ByVal DataToSend As String) As Boolean

DjJazzy.

Optikal
01-18-2004, 06:48 PM
that is correct

DjJazzy
01-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks.
So why is this.
I take it, if I wish to build/make API like DLLs I will have to use C++ or is there another language I can use.

Thanks for your time.
DjJazzy.

reboot
01-19-2004, 11:12 AM
C++, Delphi, PowerBasic

DjJazzy
01-19-2004, 11:18 AM
PowerBasic sounds good. I take it is similar to VB.

Thanks Again.
DjJazzy.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum