I'm new so be nice...

drexenn
11-16-2001, 12:10 AM
...because I'd be nice to you if you were new. I just recieved VIsual Basic 6.0 today and dont really know how to use it. I was wondering if anyone knew of any references, sites, tutorials, or sample programs that would be beneficial to me. I mean the simplest procedures that you need to know in order to make a game or program. Stuff like:
-moving the position of an object or picture
-saving game files
-asserting key presses
and stuff like that. If you know how to do any of this why not post it down right here! Anything can help, considering I know practickly nothing! (see, i cant even speel rite! :-))
thanks in advance

Squirm
11-16-2001, 03:35 AM
Okay, I will try to be nice.......

Let me say that I am a great believer in aiming for a goal, and thus I hope to achieve my goal of actually marketing a cheap game which I might make. However, I am also set against the idea of giving people code which they cannot understand. If you are completely new to VB, and have never done any programming whatsoever in your whole life, then be prepared to learn, and moreso, be prepared to fail a lot.

To start the very basics of VB you need to learn a few basic principles. I would suggest for the complete beginner buying a book, seriously. I dont know of any web sites that teach VB from scratch, most require at least some rudimentary knowledge. You can approach this in a number of ways:

*) Buy a basic book and follow its examples
*) Trial-and-error coding and just playing around with the IDE
*) Downloading somebody's simple program and trying to understand what is going on

However, if you really do know NOTHING then a book is really all you can do until you know more. Then, we can help a bit. Note to everyone - trial-and-error coding and just messing about can be a very valuable way of learning things, seriously.

Good luck images/icons/smile.gif

Ad1
11-16-2001, 03:56 AM
hey we're always nice here drexenn

you don't say if you have had any experience of other languages, so I am guessing not

I'd go with Squirm's advice, get a book first, I'd recommend a small one so you don't get put off, something like SAMS teach yourself in 24 hours

once you have covered the basics then start to play and see what's possible, anything specific you get stuck on you can always come here for help

andrewo
11-16-2001, 06:58 AM
You could play around with the command buttons and make them move when you press buttons etc

thats how i started and i am now making a sorta counterstrike top view game

drexenn
11-16-2001, 06:52 PM
ok maybe i didn't mention that i do have some coding experience. ANyone here know of or have a TI-83 + calculator. it has a decent programming...er...spot. but its just plain bare ***** basic. I can pretty much do 95% of all those commands and functions (in VB). I also know how to use command buttons and labels and textboxes and other controls but to a very limited extent. i'm still kinda clueless on variables in VB but they can't be that hard, if someone told me how to store and recall them, could they?
(hint, hint)

ChiefRedBull
11-17-2001, 05:47 AM
May I point you to this (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/bbs/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=visbas&Number=55171&Search=true&Forum=All_ Forums&Words=variable%20chief&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6mon ths&Main=55164) thread on variables...

wild wolf
11-18-2001, 11:38 PM
i can give u one advice, the most important part when writing a program according to my experience is teh logic, once u have the logic, things flow easily, i was working on a game and whenever i got stuck, i used the help in the MSDN Library i had installed, i think since u have some experience,u should make use of MSDN library for references

robot313
11-21-2001, 09:50 PM
Squirm, what you said:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

trial-and-error coding and just messing about can be a very valuable way of learning things, seriously.

<hr></blockquote>

That's how I started.

vb_kid
11-22-2001, 02:59 AM
Hey. You could go to this site and download some tutorials.
http://www.vbexplorer.com/game_tutorials.asp

joffee
12-06-2001, 11:53 AM
well personally if you have visual basic 6.0 and you have some programming language in mind then... visual basic 6 is pretty self explanatory, of course you'll have to learn some more, but the best way to learn something is trial and error, do not make something for your first time and expect it to be mint.. honest truth... it won't be... i still make stuff that isn't mint... anyway though... if you play around with the controls you'll find sometimes you can get a dropdown menu, that menu is everything that, that specific control is capable of, and once you get advanced you can go beyond that silly menu... hmmmm, do you think i'm being nice? i'm tryin.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum