mario!

Xtreme
12-27-2001, 10:15 AM
i am trying to program a game using dx7 that is a side scroller like mario. I can see how they plot the tiles but how do they determine when mario hits an enemy? possibley by the intersectRECT technique? how are games like this done? also in games like lion king side scroller where the tiles are much more complex than the bricks in mario how do they program that. Does anyone know of this technique? Thanks

Teric
12-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Good question. I'd like to know that myself...

andreww
01-04-2002, 04:12 AM
like i said last time

if someone has part of their body in the tile label it as full

and then have the players character checkin tiles in from where their gonna move

and if its full set moving to 0

ardman
01-04-2002, 07:07 AM
Could we see some code on how you are originally doing it. It just saves time on writing it all up from scratch.

Cheers

Neil

Waxycat
01-06-2002, 09:09 AM
i'd like to see it! did you attach it? it doesn't seem to be there.

andreww
01-07-2002, 07:41 PM
it only works by having the person take up one tile at a time
i will make it so u can be in multiple tiles later

its attached

Waxycat
01-07-2002, 08:57 PM
k well it's defanately not a mario style game, it's top view and you move in square incraments. but it's a good foundation. you have it stopping when you hit a wall good. i would suggest making a timer, and keeping global flags for each key. then set them true on keydown, and false on keyup. during the timer procedure, have the character move, that way, you can eliminate that pause after the first move. you could make the interval small and move like a single pixel. that way you have continuous movement. you could also move diagonal by doing it this way, but if you want it side view, you might want a jump button and some physics. also, you might want to consider making some obsticals and good ai. the pictures could obviously use some work. i'm not trying to criticize you, but rather help you. i don't know how much of this stuff you've thought of or not, but any of it that is confusing, ask me about it. i just think these are the most important things so if you do them you should be able to have a nice beta version of your game pretty soon (depending on how lazy you are ;) so i can't wait to see it!

Waxycat
01-07-2002, 09:00 PM
oh my bad, Xtreme's the one making that, LOL! so anyway, keep that in mind Xtreme! and nice work andreww.

andreww
01-07-2002, 09:36 PM
well i didnt add any gravity etc to that

think of it side view

and all the parts of the image..the rectangle box that moves into tiles.....

dont worry

what u could also do is

have to the two x positions of the monster representing the front and then back of it

and a y position for the top of the monster.

now if the players y at the bottom of the player is lower then the monsters y and players x >= monsters x then stop moving

Waxycat
01-08-2002, 05:16 PM
gravity's easy, with a timer of course. you should have top left height and width, to avoid top being lower than bottom or left being right of right. anyway, with those you should be able to make rectangles of any size. why should it stop moving just cause it's lower?

andreww
01-09-2002, 02:33 AM
sorry i mean lower as the screen starts at 0 from the top then gets bigger as it goes down

ill try and make a mini mario thing

Waxycat
01-09-2002, 09:12 AM
it's a piramid?! that's weird, i would advise against that, although i'm sure you have your reasons........................... why?!

andreww
01-16-2002, 07:11 AM
this isnt really working completely but you can try and fix it
just extract it to c:
and it should expand automatically into a directory called mario

Waxycat
01-16-2002, 09:44 AM
whoa that is SLICK! i like the icons of the guys you used! they're all rectangular lol. and the physics are very smooth, but it doesn't seem to like to quit. so that's the hook huh? you want people to play it forever! haha.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum