A.D.O Memory issues

subzero123
04-13-2004, 10:56 PM
First off I just wanted to say hello to everyone. First question that I habe is one of are programmers wrote some code to open 7 different access databases and pull some data from the tables every min. Right now the connection stays live for 20 or so days tell the computer memory gives out.. Is the memory giving out because the ado 2.5 is not release it's resources from memory? Would it be better to drop the connection and reconnect every pull?

wengwashere
04-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Do you need to connect 24/7? I think not. It is better to drop the connection whenever youre finish with your DB process and reconnect whenever you need it again.

One more thing. be sure to clear all objects after using it. be sure also to close all recordsets/connections.

MKoslof
04-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Why are you NOT closing your ADO Connections when the application is not active? If no work is being done, why is there any open connections in the first place.

subzero123
04-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Why are you NOT closing your ADO Connections when the application is not active? If no work is being done, why is there any open connections in the first place.

Well I am not the one that wrote the software. Basically I am arguing with the programmer to rewrite the software because looked to me that the cause of the memory problem was how they wrote the software.. So I figured I would get someone else’s look on the issue..

MKoslof
04-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Well, a first place to start is to review the infastructure of the application. Make sure you know what connections are defined. Make sure each connection is properly handled. Once a connection is no longer needed, make sure it is closed, and then its object is set to nothing.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum