what's wrong with this update command??

palmarosa
04-14-2004, 08:29 PM
it gives me an error : Syntax Error (comma) in query Expression ...

i can't see what's wrong...

someone help !!

Tec,Tec1,GrupoEco,GrupoEco1,Central,Central1 are string

Pot, Pot1 are single

MyDBConn.Execute ("UPDATE Centrais_Termicas_PT SET PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot1 & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco1 & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec1 & "', Central='" & Central1 & "' WHERE PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec & "', Central='" & Central & "'")

Thanks all :)

quynhtuan
04-14-2004, 08:40 PM
it gives me an error : Syntax Error (comma) in query Expression ...

i can't see what's wrong...

someone help !!

Tec,Tec1,GrupoEco,GrupoEco1,Central,Central1 are string

Pot, Pot1 are single

MyDBConn.Execute ("UPDATE Centrais_Termicas_PT SET PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot1 & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco1 & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec1 & "', Central='" & Central1 & "' WHERE PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec & "', Central='" & Central & "'")

Thanks all :)

I think you should remove the brackets in your SQL string. Please try:

Dim sSQL as String

sSQL= "UPDATE Centrais_Termicas_PT SET PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot1 & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco1 & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec1 & "', Central='" & Central1 & "' WHERE PotÍncia_Instalada='" & Pot & "', Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec & "', Central='" & Central & "'"

MyDBConn.Execute sSQL

MKoslof
04-15-2004, 06:32 AM
No the brackets are fine. The issue is, you say two of your values are singles, or integer values. For strings you want to use the quoted values such as:

"Field = '" & Text1.Text & "'"

For numeric values you want to drop the quotes such as:

"Field1=" & Pot1

So, go back and review which of these fields are numeric and modify your command string.

Andyh
04-15-2004, 07:59 AM
I think the clue is in the error message, It could also be that some of your string parameters may contain a quote mark ('). If this is possible in any of the fields you must double them up:
e.g. replace GrupoEco1 with replace(GrupoEco1 , "'", "''") etc....

MKoslof
04-15-2004, 08:02 AM
No, read the comments :).

Pot, Pot1 are single

These are INTEGER data types, he then needs to declare them properly in his update statement without the quotes.

Andyh
04-15-2004, 08:04 AM
No, read the comments :).

Pot, Pot1 are single

These are INTEGER data types, he then needs to declare them properly in his update statement without the quotes.

Hi, You read my reply before I changed it to refer to one of the strings!

MKoslof
04-15-2004, 08:07 AM
OK, fair enough, I won't bite your head off :)

wayneph
04-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Doesn't the WHERE clause need "AND" instead of commas?

MyDBConn.Execute ("UPDATE Centrais_Termicas_PT SET PotÍncia_Instalada=" & Pot1 & ", Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco1 & "', Tecnologia='" & Tec1 & "', Central='" & Central1 & "' WHERE PotÍncia_Instalada=" & Pot & " AND Grupo_Econůmico='" & GrupoEco & "' AND Tecnologia='" & Tec & "' AND Central='" & Central & "'")

MKoslof
04-15-2004, 08:39 AM
One of many problems. We need to get the data types correct first, using the proper syntax for number and strings. But yes, we have overlooked that so far, you need the AND between the Where clauses.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum