SQL Server Backup on Hosted Server

bobcory
04-15-2004, 01:05 PM
I have a SQL database based on a hosted server controlled by .asp code and in conversation with a VB6 program on the client's PC ( hopefully there will be hundreds of client machines )

I am concerned about backing up the SQL server - the hoster does this regularly ( they say ) but if there is a screw up then I need to recover quickly.

So, I am looking at two other alternatives and would appreciate ideas and comments

Alternative 1
Have the SQL server regularly forward the crucial bits of the Database in csv form to another totally unconnected hosted machine. Maybe by using Inet.execute if this works in asp ( does it? )

OR

Alternative 2
Have a VB6 routine running all the time on my home PC calling down the data at regular intervals. Problem is that I have to have the machine on all the time and I am sometimes away. Plus do not currently have a firewall set up and have no wish to mess with one

I prefer alternative 1. Any observations?

HardCode
04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Is this a Microsoft SQL Server that the host provides?

bobcory
04-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Is this a Microsoft SQL Server that the host provides?

Yes it is. SQL 2000 database. Sorry, should have made that clear

HardCode
04-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, the host should have a daily (at least) backup using the scheduler in SQL Server. This will create a single file that is the backup of everything (tables, data, Stored Procedures, etc.) Maybe they can save this file to your FTP directory so you can personally download it for "extra safety." Keep in mind, though, that this file can get HUGE fast, and it may not be feasable to download it if you are going to be working with large amounts of data.

bobcory
04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
The key bit is the table of people who have sent me money and I expect that will be very small indeed!

So, would still like to have a second backup as per origianl question. Any comments on original question?

HardCode
04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Well, who wants a small table of people that pay you money!?!?! :D

Seriously, if you expect the table to be small, yes, then you can leave a PC on and just query all of the records and copy them to a local DB, or, saving the RecordSet object as an XML page (rs.Save "C:\Data.xml", adPersistXML)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum