Show only modified rows in report.

mansica
04-16-2004, 04:19 AM
This is a tough one.
I have a database with pricelists for products from specific suppliers.
The database can have different versions on pricelists for same supplier and products. Lets say the supplier wants to update the price on a single product. THen a completely new pricelist is read into the database with all the products. The only thing that differ the first version from the secon one is that one product has changed price.

What I want is to get a report on changed items between two pricelist versions for a specific supplier. I'm using a view that consists of all pricelists and all suppliers.
So somehow I want to mask out all products from a pricelist that hasn't changed between two versions.

Does this make any sense to you?
Let me know if you want a closer description of the problem.

chrisap
04-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi Mansica,

I dont know the table stucture but a quick think that came in my mind is that you should use a column storing the date of the last change in the specific price, then you could make a new query looking for dates and make the report you want.

mansica
04-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Yeah I have also thought of a status field that is set if a product is updated but the thing is that I have no authorities to alter the specific table.

chrisap
04-16-2004, 06:20 AM
So you may can create a new table with the new data inside that database or you can link some tables in a new database and make there those changes, i am doing that in my work because the main database is in sql and i am using access for extra manual reports

mansica
04-16-2004, 06:40 AM
That would be possible.
But wouldn't it be better if I somehow wrote a nested select in my view definition that checked if a product in a new version is changed from the preceding?
Is that doable?

chrisap
04-16-2004, 06:52 AM
I think that you can do that, i dont know how free you are to alter your current database, in simular cases i prefer to use a new database with linked tables and make changes there.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum