DTS BulkInsert Task, Format File?

drixx2
04-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone,
i was recently given an assignment to write a program in visual basic 6 which reads in a textfile's path, a database table, and a 'field map', a delimited char, and a couple other parameters which aren't important to this discussion.
Now, what this program's task to do is: import the values in the text file to the SQL 2k database table based on the 'field map'. This 'field map' basically will come in the form of, for example, 1=2, 3=4 (ie, column 1 in the text file goes in column 2 in the table, column 3 in the text file goes in column 4 in the table, ect).
So far i have created a BulkInsert Task object and i am able to import data into the table when there is an exact mapping, but i'm stuck on the 'field mapping' part. Originally, i was going to execute a stored procedure to the bcp to create a format file, but decided against this. Next i was just going to create my own 'format file' class in visual basic and build my own format file from scratch, but i think there HAS to be an easier solution.
So, i guess..basically, my question is this: Is there anyway to dynamically create a format file in a relatively 'painless' manner?
Thanks for the help!

MKoslof
04-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Here is a good place to start for DTS development.

Http://sqldts.com

Do you have any current code started? If so, can you post it. Do you want to do the majority of the work through VB or SQL Server? I prefer doing most of my DTS work natively, but you can fire most of the scripting you need directly from VB.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum