How to create colored map and then change color of one territorry

Siena
01-13-2002, 03:56 PM
Could somebody give a hint how to make a simple map with bunch of territories, and then during the game, to be able to change color of any territory.
What's the best way to do it?
I was trying to display a map using DirectX 8, but after a lot of work my map still consists only of two colored squares.
I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

Squirm
01-13-2002, 04:10 PM
Show us what you've done in DirectX 8 and we'll see if its possible to build on that. Either paste the code below (using tags of course) or by adding your project as an attachment with all the necessary files :)

Siena
01-13-2002, 06:51 PM
I just used one of Microsoft's tutorials and built on it a little bit. Did not add any comments though. Here it is: To end - just hit "Esc" key.

So, are you saying, that DirectX 8 is a way to go? I actually posted a question here, because I was sure that somebody must know a more efficient way.

Craynruj
01-16-2002, 06:27 PM
I have attached a file that shows how you can programmatically apply different textures to various parts of DirectX 3D Meshes. Look through the code and see how it is done.

This code allows you to load some premade X files of weapons and then select (through combo lists) various handles, blades, pommels, etc. You will see them change on the object as you select new textures. This is probably what you want to do IF you are making a map from a mesh.

If you are making a map programmatically and you are not using textures then I am not sure how to do this. If you are using a texture then simply swap it for one of a different color.

Siena
01-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Craynruj,

thanks a lot.
It is very interesting.

Actually, I was trying to do it programmatically, but meshes seem to simplify a lot.
I still have to study it.

Thank you.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum