learning

RANDY72186
01-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Yesterday I learned how to use visualbasic.But since I want to make games,what language I have to use.It seems so easy.

JDT
01-13-2002, 11:03 PM
VB is ok for games. You can implement DirectX in VB but if you are going to be serious I would use C++ instead of VB.

JDT

Squirm
01-14-2002, 04:52 AM
If youve never done any programming before then I'd say stick with VB. You can do some pretty powerful stuff with it. ;)

Waxycat
01-16-2002, 08:30 AM
often, the most difficult thing about making a game is not the coding, but the math and physics.

Teric
01-16-2002, 10:29 AM
You've got it, WaxyCat. Usually, once you get past the syntax of a new language, most of the game you program is the same no matter what language you're using.

Math, Physics, Matrices, Trigonometry, etc. can be difficult for C++ programmers as well as VB programmers.

Waxycat
01-17-2002, 03:49 PM
yah, but boy can it ever be tough sometimes! especially to get the physics to be realistic. of course, the visual effects can be even more difficult, but of course everyone alwayz takes the cheap way out by using DirectX or OpenGL, because it seems that Windows has something programmed in it to completely dissallow any other form of graphix manipulation.

Banjo
01-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Window makes it difficult (and in NT's case, impossible) to access hardware directly. The only way to do it is to get your code to run in ring 0. Don't ask me how, because I have no idea. DirectX is not the only way however. If you remember back to the days of Quake, many new games had the option to use OpenGL drivers and at that time DirectX was very poor by comparison. However, in the mean time, DirectX has evolved with new hardware and OpenGL hasn't kept up. this is why DirectX is now the only viable platform for games under windows.

The other thing that DirectX does is formalise an API (in the same way that OpenGL did) so that you as a programmer don't have to worry about what hardware the user has, just what it capabilities are. If you were to go off and write your own graphics API you would have to write drivers for each and every video card you wanted to use.

Of course, when you say it disallows any other form of graphics, that is only true direct to video memory functions. You can easily write games (not of professional quality) with the VB drawing functions, the GDI or a combination of both. You can even simulate full screen video by sizing your DC to the size of the screen.

wild wolf
01-18-2002, 01:36 AM
guess what, i have worked with C++, VB and JAVA and found out that each language has its own advantage for programming, JAVA was easy and fast for network games, VB was easy for games in general and C++ was great for graphics, poll for each language, VB excelled overall, the only weakness was the graphics.

Squirm
01-18-2002, 03:36 AM
There's nothing you can do graphics-wise in C++ that cant be done in VB, albeit perhaps a bit slower.

lynnphui
01-19-2002, 07:11 AM
JDT,
i have not much experience with c++ though i would like to in the near future. what's the advantage of c++ compared to VB in a game programming environment?

tks,

Waxycat
01-19-2002, 08:53 AM
well here's a few lynnphui. imagine an if statement with a call inside of it inserted between every line of code. slow huh? that's basically what happens with vb code when it's compiled. it's for error checking, but you can do that on your own in c, and if you code things correctly, with the propper precautions, you shouldn't get errors anyway, so there won't be a bunch of useless checks. also, vb can't do any bitwize logical opperators. these are often usefull, but to do them in vb, you have to do a bunch of integer divisions, modulus, multiplys, and generally just take appart into bits, check and fix, and put back togeather data. this might seem one-sided towards c, but you asked for vb dissadvantages. well anyway, it doesn't really have any advantages at all in terms of power or speed, only ease of use. but it can be a LOT easier.

wild wolf
01-20-2002, 11:46 PM
waxycat, what u gave was the difference between c and vb but c++ is different as it uses an OOP(object oriented programming), c++ is quite powerful especially in calling functions
u cant say C++ has an advantage over VB in game programming because if someone reasons u can make 3D games in C++ so can u in VB using DirectX programming, but the problem for game programming in VB is the speed, if u use heavy graphics it will take time to load all the graphics compared to C++

Flyguy
01-21-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Waxycat
imagine an if statement with a call inside of it inserted between every line of code. slow huh? that's basically what happens with vb code when it's compiled. it's for error checking, but you can do that on your own in c, and if you code things correctly, with the propper precautions, you shouldn't get errors anyway, so there won't be a bunch of useless checks.

Ever heard of compiler switches?
You can normally safely check "Remove Arra Bound Checks" and "Remove Integer Overflow Checks", because they should not occur in a program. Making your code very fast.

Waxycat
01-21-2002, 03:51 PM
ArnoutV, no i guess i haven't. i haven't a clue where to find those options you speak of. but do you mean to tell me that with the propper options set, there is absolutely no difference in speed for a program written in VB than the same one written in C?! and wild wolf, what r u talking about? when did i mention any of that stuff? when i said c i guess i should have been more specific. what i meant was any form of c, also including c++ and visual. but i still don't see where i said much of anything about graphix let alone oop. maybe if you could point it out or something but right now i'm a bit puzzled.

Banjo
01-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Right click on your project in the Project Explorer. Select Properties>>Compile>>Advanced Optimisations

wild wolf
01-22-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Waxycat
ArnoutV, no i guess i haven't. i haven't a clue where to find those options you speak of. but do you mean to tell me that with the propper options set, there is absolutely no difference in speed for a program written in VB than the same one written in C?! and wild wolf, what r u talking about? when did i mention any of that stuff? when i said c i guess i should have been more specific. what i meant was any form of c, also including c++ and visual. but i still don't see where i said much of anything about graphix let alone oop. maybe if you could point it out or something but right now i'm a bit puzzled.

oops maybe i misunderstood u, sorry :rolleyes:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum