Zelda Style

sbk2002
01-14-2002, 05:23 PM
:eek: Question...

In Zelda, for Gameboy or Super Nintendo, you move your character around the screen and if he hits the end of the screen, a new screen will come up, continuing were he left of at...(I know it sounds confusing, sorry:( )

If anyone knows how to do this I would greatly appreciate it:) ...

Squirm
01-14-2002, 05:27 PM
Detect when the character moves within a certain distance to the screen edge, then load the next area.

JDT
01-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi sbk2002

This is not the answer to your question but i think you might be interested in the tile demo by BillSoo. it is very Zelda like and could be very useful for your game.

The thread to it is HERE (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7965).

The attachments are missing from that thread so I'll attach it for you.

Good Luck

Craynruj
01-16-2002, 06:13 PM
I wrote a game where I do just that on the outside maps. I have a large map where the character moves around. Then when he leaves the side of the map to go to the next map I do the following.

I load the graphic for the next map into a second image control. I then slide the current image out of the picture box as I slide the new image into the picture box. I also slide the character so it looks as if he maintains his current position on the maps. Once the new map is in place I load the image into the picture control and move the image control out of sight.

The sliding is done in a loop. If the character is going up to a new map then the current map and new map are slid down by increasing the TOP of both image controls. You get the idea. It works pretty well. It probably isn't necessary but it does give the game a nicer appearance and is less confusing for the player than if he stepped on a new map that suddenly appeared and his position on it was suddenly somewhere else.

Kitaiko
01-25-2002, 07:29 AM
dont think id like to do it that way, if i was making 1.

cds
01-29-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by sbk2002
:eek: Question...

In Zelda, for Gameboy or Super Nintendo, you move your character around the screen and if he hits the end of the screen, a new screen will come up, continuing were he left of at...(I know it sounds confusing, sorry:( )

If anyone knows how to do this I would greatly appreciate it:) ... If you want to play a game like zelda go here (www.graal2001.com) its free.

Teric
01-29-2002, 08:52 AM
Grrr.... darn corporate firewall/internet filter. I can't get to that site either. :(

cds
01-29-2002, 10:11 AM
then try

www.graal2001.com
www.graalclassic.com
www.graalonline.com

if not, aim me on teh craig and ill host the setup file somewhere so you can dl it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum