Blockmania

Ad1
01-18-2002, 06:56 AM
I had a bit of spare time this morning and so I knocked up this simple game based on a game I've played on the net.

1) feel free to improve it, i've only done the basics and there is plenty of room for improvement

2) just play it, its quite addictive

I've attached it complete with my own brand of self commenting code

dcl3500
01-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Hmmm,
Thank you Ad1 for supplying me with yet another diversion from programming :), cool game and very distracting. My high score so far for the day is now 829. Still shooting for that elusive goal of clearing the board.

Think I will add the save the high score to the registry, that way I won't forget the new target. :)

Well I see now that you already put that feature in. I think it is time for a reboot, cause the puter is getting wacky on me. Should've reset earlier but the problems I was having "cleared" up miraculously.

Squirm
01-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Nice work Ad1, looks like I wont be doing much work for a while. Better get back to the game...... :D

Agent
01-18-2002, 09:58 PM
I added sound to it. I did a few changes and I hope it is okay and doesn't make it look bad.

Ad1
01-21-2002, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a sound card at work (probably just as well), I'll check it out when I get home

in the meantime I've included it with a couple of other new functions I added including selection highlight and gameover detection

BTW I managed to score 858 in one click by blowing a chain of 39 blocks but I've not yet managed to clear the board

just fixed bug in scoring caused by new additions

Thinker
01-21-2002, 11:55 AM
One other thing that should be a simple fix. It has a hardcoded
value of 15 for twips to pixels. On one of my computers, that
value is 12, so the blocks all bunch up and don't fill the picturebox.
Still plays though. Pretty cool and frustrating at the same time.

Ad1
01-21-2002, 02:26 PM
I changed the scalemodes to pixels to avoid this but forgot to do the form' scalemode if you change that to pixels and make sure the picbox is 304x304 hopefully it will be ok, please let me know

BTW Clayton I like the sound effect

Thinker
01-21-2002, 02:40 PM
No that didn't make any difference. If you look at the code, you
will see the number 15 all though the calculations. That needs to
change to a variable that can be set from the Screen.TwipsPerPixelX
(I believe anyway, will test it out one of these days.)

Ad1
01-21-2002, 02:51 PM
15 only appears because it is 15 rows by 15 columns, nothing to do with twips per pixel

I'll try and look into the problem but unfortunately I can't recreate it here

Flyguy
01-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Suggestion:

More levels.
easy: 3 colors
normal: 5 colors
hard: 7 colors

Thinker
01-21-2002, 04:09 PM
I see what you are saying about the 15 now so it must be more
complex. I did get it to fill horizontally by changing the line in
Form_Load
imgBlock(x).Left = (x Mod 15) * 25 'was 20

Robby
01-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks a lot, now I hooked on the game and can't stop.
It's great though. Very clean work.

BTW, High-Score: 786

wild wolf
01-22-2002, 01:37 AM
hey i remember playing this game in Linux, its called ShiShen Sho and i was hooked to it, i could chose the number of blocks i wanted and select if i wanted gravity to be on or off, when i say gravity on or off i mean instead of the boxes falling they stay where they are hanging in the air and you could join only two boxes at a time and as long as there is no objection u can make a score by joining two boxes wherever they are (as long as there are no objection), anybody using linux will know what game iam talking about :), i was hooked to it but since i installed linux i havent played the game, thanx Ad1 for giving us the windows version ;)

ill try out the gravity option and also allow user to select number of blocks

Ad1
01-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into them, I'm trying not to make the game to complex though as I want to try and make a javascript/DHTML version of it but I'm not sure how it will hold up

Thinker I really ought to use more constants not to mention comments in my code, 20 is the width/height of the blocks in pixels

Robby
01-22-2002, 01:47 PM
High score: 944

Largest chain: 13 blocks

Kitaiko
01-25-2002, 07:19 AM
hey great job on that game,one of the best puzzlers ive seen

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum