maze game

wild wolf
02-07-2002, 10:23 PM
ok cool, finaly i start programming another game but this game is quite different,

Has anybody played that maze game in the Siemens Handphone (or should i say handset or mobile phone), it has this maze game that gives u a 3d effect giving u a feeling that ur looking for a way through mazes, well iam making a game similar to that, now comes in the decision time, what language or tool should i use, i have four options, 3DStudioMax, VB, Blender, or flash (which i dun think ill use as this game uses heavy graphics), can someone please advise me on what to use

secondly, has anybody created a game similar to this or anything that involves mazes

if iam using VB, will i be able to use 3D effects (maybe using DirectX?) or should i import graphics from 3DStudioMax or Blender

this is just the begining, lets hope the ending is more fun :D

orufet
02-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Energy = Mass*(Speed of light)^2

Personally, I've never played a maze game on a telephone before, but I think I know sort of what you're talking about. If you're going to be doing 3D stuff, I'd suggest learning DirectX (I don't know much about 3DS or Blender). If you don't want to spend the time learning DX, I suppose you could create 3D graphics in the 3DSMax program, but (since I don't know the limitations), I'm not sure if you'd be able to render all three dimentions in VB code. You could, however, (probably) give the impression of the three dimentional graphics without actually letting VB render them. Make sense?

My suggestion would be to learn DirectX.

wild wolf
02-08-2002, 12:44 AM
yeah Einsteins equations says E=MC^2 :D

thanx for the suggestion, thats the only option i have if iam not using the 3DS

could i like not use DirectX, just use VB and give a 3D effect though its not really 3D, make any sense?i have a short duration, so i think ill need to learn DirectX as fast as i can if i am using it,
initially i was thinking of rendering images in 3DStudio and importint this images in VB and just use them, so even though the game wont be 3D, it will get the 3D effect
can i like get an example of such a game? thanx :p

Squirm
02-08-2002, 07:01 AM
You seem to suggest that using 3DS and using DirectX are two different options. The trick is to code the game and renderer in VB for DirectX, and create any necessary 3D models in 3DS and import them over.

wild wolf
02-08-2002, 08:53 AM
iam really sorry squirm but i din get ur point, iam sorry for the newbie stuff in DirectX as i have 0 knowledge in it, iam goin to start it now, so i thought i will render images n 3DStudio Max and use them in VB, squirm ur good in DirectX, u can help me here :-\

Squirm
02-09-2002, 10:32 AM
Sorry I am somewhat confused. When you said '3D effect' did you mean it was proper real 3D or something else, like isometric style?
:confused:

wild wolf
02-09-2002, 12:43 PM
its an isometric view, the images will be 3d but not the game...get my point?

Kitaiko
02-09-2002, 06:05 PM
You should make it using the ray casting effect, its very easy and looks heaps good

wild wolf
02-09-2002, 11:35 PM
thanx for the idea kitaiko, but iam not sure how the ray casting effect works, maybe it would be alot of help if u could explian it, sounds interesting :D

Kitaiko
02-10-2002, 01:52 AM
The ray casting effect uses a number of rays pointed at diferent angles to detect where walls are on a 2d map.
e.g. o is the character and x is a wall and . is a blank spot

....................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX.......|........./.................
...................\........|......../..................
....................\.......|......./...................
.....................\......|....../....................
......................\.....|...../.....................
.......................\....|..../......................
........................\...|.../.......................
.........................\..|../........................
..........................\.|./.........................

of course in the actual program there is more rays than 3 (about 32), but this is an example. When a wall is hit by a ray, it uses pythagoras's thereom to detect how far away it is. The higher the number, the smaller the wall will appear

in this example the wall would look like this

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The walls are drawn in columbs (one for each ray) so eventuly you end up with a picture.

Its the style wolfenstein uses

Kitaiko
02-10-2002, 02:01 AM
If ne1 can explain it better, which i know they can, go ahead

wild wolf
02-10-2002, 05:32 AM
wow kitaiko that was alot, thanx budy ;) but is this possible in vb? by the way ur diagrams explain exactly what i want to do :D

Squirm
02-10-2002, 09:48 AM
You said you wanted an isometric style...... that being a 2D game with 3D images, whereas raycasting is a 3D game with 2D images. :-\

Oh well, whatever takes your fancy. You can do this in VB sure, someone did it not too long ago and posted it here. No doubt it was lost, so is reattached.

Squirm
02-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Attached :)

wild wolf
02-10-2002, 10:55 AM
thanx squirm, can i use this code? maybe i will edit it and use it and post the edit game?:p

Robby
02-10-2002, 11:00 AM
Hey Squirm, very cool stuff.

Squirm
02-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Dont credit me, I didnt code any of it. Like I said, it originally came in this thread (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14596&highlight=raycasting) but the attachment got lost in the swap so I merely re-posted it.

Therefore I think you would have to ask the guy concerned if you can copy the code.

Kitaiko
02-11-2002, 01:19 AM
lol, hey thats my code :)
I lost my password to chris so i now use kitaiko

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum