Trying to write a "Space Invaders" like game.

Stryc9
02-09-2002, 12:34 AM
I'm working on a "Space Invaders" like game and running into lots of problems. I've only written a few simple programs so I really don't know that much about what can be done with VB. The problems I am having are as follows:

1) My "enemies" when they start moving will just continue right off the form.

2) When the player shoots, every thing stops moving until the bullet stops.

orufet
02-09-2002, 12:56 AM
I see you're a Kevin Mitnick fan.

I can't really help you until we know a little more...What code are you using? API? The .Move method? DirectX? Changing .Left properties? If you let us see some of your code, it'll be a lot easier to help.

wild wolf
02-09-2002, 01:04 AM
i used to get the same problem (ur second prob), the error i was doing was i was calling the function that moves the bullet and in this function there was no definition of actions for other events, check if ur calling the bullet moving function is there any action trigerred for other events if not then try adding those events and see if it works

wild wolf
02-09-2002, 01:12 AM
oh yeah ur first problem, i think u did not give a range for the enemies, u could put a check on them and once they reach their left,right,top or bottom limits, they change direction (i used a code that computer_guy and Ad1 gave me, once a car hits the side of the road the car bounces back on the road and starts moving in another direction)

it will be easier if u would attach ur code:)

Stryc9
02-10-2002, 02:23 AM
I was thinking of posting my code but had deleted it so I had to do a quick rewrite of the whole thing.

andreww
02-10-2002, 06:24 AM
*cough nice bullets hahahaha :)

sorry you should see the bullet code that ive developed..i had a machine gun that all you had to do was type in a few constants to design your gun..

eg
bullet speed,length,colour,number of bullets per shot, fire rate, accuracy while running or standing still, reload times, amount of ammo per clip muahahahahahah

ill make an easy space invaders, just cuz im that great :)

andreww
02-10-2002, 08:14 AM
ok here it is

its pretty dodgy actually....but ahwell..i also havent recycled the bullets..i gotta to remember how to sort arrays

still its the greatest..any questions :)

wild wolf
02-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Stryc9, i am in the process of re-writing ur code, iam storing ur images in an array and moving them, the reason why the alliens move away from the screen is because the check u have used is not appropriate, iam in my office now, the moment i get back home i will edit ur code and repost it here, :) and maybe also add some extras that can make the game difficult :D

wild wolf
02-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Stryc9, here is an update on ur game, now the alliens stay in the frame and the bullet starts wherever ur position is and u cannot go off screen, the reason why ur code was not working was beacoz the way u had used ur timers, as for bullet hitting alliens u should use a similar option, i din do it coz i wanted u to do it :D

Kitaiko
02-11-2002, 02:38 AM
Here is like an asteroid game i made, it uses jpgs

Teric
02-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Andreww: Better check your collision detection code. I'll fire one shot and it will take out 2 or three enemies.

Kitaiko: Thanks for putting that together, but it appears un-related to this thread. Please post your game on your own thread. Still, your animation routines are pretty good, and I like your flowing starfield effect.

Stryc9: Good start. Set up your collision detection and enemy elimination code and you'll have a working game.

Kitaiko
02-12-2002, 03:39 AM
um yeah sorry about that i meant to say that he should use the star effect in the background, and that was the example, but i forgot!

andreww
02-12-2002, 04:05 AM
yea i had some weird problem with my computer where it wasnt detecting the collision..so i doubled the detection range and it worked perfect...must be something up with me computer

Kitaiko
02-12-2002, 04:09 AM
your game worked fine 4 me, or did it ... oh wait, it did

andreww
02-12-2002, 08:05 AM
i dont like it now! it looks to cheap i gonna make one like the original!

Stryc9
02-14-2002, 12:14 AM
I recently saw a screenshot of what the game was supposed to look like so I've completely redone it with new graphics and some new code. The only thing that I have left that i need help on is the collision detection and this game will be finished.

P.S.
Oh yea and the the whole bullet stopping things too.

Kitaiko
02-14-2002, 04:11 AM
Here is a really bad version of that star effect, i just did it to show you, cause i think your game would look even better with a good verion of it in there

andreww
02-14-2002, 06:26 AM
heres a better star effect

wild wolf
02-15-2002, 05:09 AM
Stryc9, better than last time, it works, but i think u really need to learn how to use timers,

anyway, do u intend to put this effect, once the alliens reach and end of screen they move down lets say 30 pixels or less accordingly until in the end they reach down and game is over, if u dunt intend than ill suggest u do and maybe for difficulty levels u could fasten up the pace of the alliens........

wild wolf
02-15-2002, 09:34 AM
hi, here is the effect i was talking of, u could make it more interesting by putting in levels, say u prompt the player to select a level, say example 10, u could multiply that value with the value u have already used, just a suggestion, maybe u have some greater plans :p

wild wolf
02-15-2002, 09:36 AM
ooops very sorry for that, here is the attachment :o

Stryc9
02-15-2002, 02:00 PM
I intend to implements some things to make the game harder as you get farther along in the game but only after i have every thing else working.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum