What should I use?

CornMaster
10-12-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm creating a server program that will sit on a computer at a domain or IP.

People will connect to it through another program of mine and register their details with their product key. If the key is valid, the program will get the signal to unlock itself, otherwise it won't.

How should I store this data on the server? Access database, MYSQL, text file? What would be best? I really have no experience in this area (although I do have experience with winsock and multiuser chat programs), but not registration and locking programs.

So...what do you think?

NEOLLE
10-12-2004, 11:36 PM
How should I store this data on the server? Access database, MYSQL, text file? What would be best?
The way I see it, there is no significant difference. It will still end-up to what do you think best suits you. For me, I would choose MS Access. :)

loquin
10-13-2004, 02:16 AM
It depends upon your ISP. If Acces and mySQL is all they offer, you're somewhat limited.

MySQL is more stable than Access. Since this is a production system, I would go with the more stable database offering.

Definitely a database over a text file, though. You can let ADO do the low-level "grunt work", and concentrate on the hi-level design.

Norenca
10-13-2004, 03:12 AM
Access sucks. It's only good for small programs like making an inventory of your DVD's. So please don't use that. MySQL, SQLserver and Oracle are the way to go.

Oracle is probably the best database, but not very userfriendly, unless you really know your way around SQL.

Personally, I prefer MySQL, because it's very stable and often has an online interface (PHPmyAdmin). BUT ... MySQL sucks when it comes to interacting with Microsoft products like VB.NET. Then you have to import new objects (adodb), use a totally different code to access your database, ...

So if you have the option of using SQLserver, then I would use that one. Unfortunatelly, most providers charge a lot for that kind of database.

So ... in conclusion ... use anything but MS Access. :)

NEOLLE
10-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Access sucks. It's only good for small programs like making an inventory of your DVD's. So please don't use that. MySQL, SQLserver and Oracle are the way to go.

I dont argue with that. :D
But if you have databases like MySQL, SQLserver and Oracle. Hence, I see no reason why not to use them over MS Access.
Its your deal!!! :)

CornMaster
10-13-2004, 04:37 AM
Ok....so the general consensus is a database of some sort.

I'll ask the distributor what he has to offer, and what he feels more comfortable with....since he's got to keep it updated. ;)

Thanks.

loquin
10-13-2004, 10:02 AM
That's probably best :)

IMO, the problem with MySQL is the lack of native RI (http://techdocs.postgresql.org/college/002_referentialintegrity/index.php). This means that you need to keep track of relationships within your app, which results in two issues. The first is that your app becomes more complex, with much more reliance on error checking relationship checks. Secondly, by moving RI into the application, you are making your database itself less "opbject oriented." By using stored procedures as 'methods', and by applying triggers, you can hide more of the complexity of your database from the app. This means that the app is simpler, and easier to understand, and more maintainable. My suggestion would be, if all else were equal, to go with a true database server that fully supports RI. If cost is an issue, (and it's limitations are aceptable,) go with MSDE. It's free, supports almost all of SQL Server's features, and any application that you write will be scaleable to work with SQL Server. If you've hard coded the connection string, you would need to make changes to support a new database spec. That's it. If cost is not as much of an issue, or the limitations of MSDE are not acceptable, use SQL Server. (The nice thing with MSDE is that you can tout it as a free server that is completely scaleable to full-blown SQL Server when (or if) the client outgrows it.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum