database design advice: adjustment column

msmeth
10-14-2004, 11:49 AM
I'd like to know if I should have 2 tables for the following problem.

In my main table, a user inputs weights and the running net weight is calculated in the VB program. The user may enter and adjustment weight which will then be used to adjust the net weight. The adjustment weight is separate from the input weights...they can't change the input weights but can instead enter an adjustment to increase/decrease the net weight. Should these adjustment weights be kept in a separate table or just be another column in the main table? There will be few and definitely not all records in the main table with have an adjustment.

Timbo
10-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Unless you intend to make full use of every field of a table, you should store related data in another table. This will also assist you in finding which records have an adjustment entered against them, if there's a record in the 2nd table, then an adjustment has been entered :)

msmeth
10-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Unless you intend to make full use of every field of a table, you should store related data in another table. This will also assist you in finding which records have an adjustment entered against them, if there's a record in the 2nd table, then an adjustment has been entered :)

Great. That's what I thought...different table it is. Thanks. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum