make a backup of a table

Iceman Solope
10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi there, a simple question, did any know how can I make a backup of a table when I put data on the table ( I means that when I updated the table the table makes an tblBackup with the last records before Updated)

any suggestions I'll appreciated it

Harkon
10-22-2004, 02:27 PM
what kind of database do u use?

Iceman Solope
10-22-2004, 03:18 PM
shame of me!, I forget it :whoops:

is Access 2002 :chuckle:

sorry and thanks for post :D

Harkon
10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
firstly it should be good to know of the reasons that u need this backup. is it to keep one-step-back your records? that is before the latest update?
all u have to do is make another table with the same structure and copy the containts from the first one to the second just before you make the update or insert command.
but that won't save you from db corruption. if the file is lost or destroyed it's all gone.
using Access i don't know of another way but to copy the whole .mdb file to another location every once in a while.
however if you want to build an application that trully needs backup properties i would suggest on using SQL Server or Oracle.

MKoslof
10-23-2004, 08:43 AM
You can:

1) Use the FSO file copy methods
2) Compact and Repair the database via ADO
3) Use the CopyFile API call to make a copy of the mdb file.

As Harkon has stated, an Access mdb file is just a flat file, so standard file copy methods will suffice.

Iceman Solope
10-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi Harkon, its in order to keep one-step-back my records, can you recomend me a method? :)

Thnks for post

firstly it should be good to know of the reasons that u need this backup. is it to keep one-step-back your records? that is before the latest update?
all u have to do is make another table with the same structure and copy the containts from the first one to the second just before you make the update or insert command.
but that won't save you from db corruption. if the file is lost or destroyed it's all gone.
using Access i don't know of another way but to copy the whole .mdb file to another location every once in a while.
however if you want to build an application that trully needs backup properties i would suggest on using SQL Server or Oracle.

Iceman Solope
10-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi MKoslof, so I just need to write/re-write my files?, can I make a one-step-back process ? like, redo,

Thnks for post
You can:

1) Use the FSO file copy methods
2) Compact and Repair the database via ADO
3) Use the CopyFile API call to make a copy of the mdb file.

As Harkon has stated, an Access mdb file is just a flat file, so standard file copy methods will suffice.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum