Is is possible to connect to Oracle with DAO?

Swiss Mercenary
11-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Before I start to beat my head against the wall, is it possible to connect to Oracle databases using DAO?

The client does NOT want to install MDAC on all the client machines.

In other words, is it possible to connect to an Oracle db without using MDAC?

Cheers

Swiss

Shurik12
11-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi,

Here is a good reader:
http://www.orafaq.com/faqmsvb.htm

Shurik.

Swiss Mercenary
11-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks, so far looks like what I am looking for.

Swiss

Flyguy
11-01-2004, 11:40 AM
The client does NOT want to install MDAC on all the client machines.

Starting from Win98 MDAC is already pre-installed

HardCode
11-01-2004, 12:51 PM
If the client is tech-savvy enough to know what MDAC is, why on earth would the client want to use antiquated DAO for their hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars Oracle system :huh: Using DAO for Oracle is kind of like purposely putting bad gas into a brand new car ... sure the car will move, but how reliable and for how long?

sindhuKV
11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I think Client Does not want to Install ORACLE client.(Due to the Cost i suppose)
MDAC is Installed by default.

Regards
Sindhu

Swiss Mercenary
11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Do not ask me, I only program the stuff. Well now I have to make two versions, one using DAO and the other using ADODB.

The ADODB version DOES require the installation of MDAC 2.8 to work, while the DAO version does not.
The ADODB version is the version that updates the Oracle DB, while the DAO version only read from the Oracle DB. They just to avoid having the MDAC 2.8 on too many machines, security policy.

Windows 2000 Pro is what they are using.

HardCode
11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
They just to avoid having the MDAC 2.8 on too many machines, security policy.

What??? If they told you that, you are going to be subjected to the highest degree of "management" nonsense and mis-information, and I sympathize with you ;) Why do they want two versions anyway? That is odd.

MKoslof
11-06-2004, 10:15 AM
What type of project are you working on? If you company does not want to work with ADO for whatever reason, look into using OO4O instead..this is native technique for communicating with Oracle.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum