Some question in my mind bout ADO?

orbknives
11-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Right now im reading some facts bout ADO libraries and such, now ive encountered this question in my mind, i hope you can throw me some spare knowledge here..

- Do i need to learn the whole 3 ADO libraries (ADO, ADOX, ADO MD) to be a DB programmer in vb or learning ADO is enough to be competetive?

- What is the BEST cursortype and locktype to use for both Web and App development?Is it Dynamic with batchoptimistic or what?

- Is Marshaling can be use to Shared Access DB on a network or its juz for SQL Server/MSDE?

I hope you can help me here experts, gurus and etc... :)

wayneph
11-05-2004, 12:47 PM
You're going to love this answer. It depends. :)
Here are my thoughts on some of the subjects. I've never used Marshaling so I can't answer that one.

Do i need to learn the whole 3 ADO libraries (ADO, ADOX, ADO MD) to be a DB programmer in vb or learning ADO is enough to be competetive?
It depends on exactly what you want to do. The majority of what I do is all in ADO. I use a basic relational database which is set up as part of the project. From what I understand about ADOX, it lets you get in and analyze the structure of your database. In most cases I have no need to do this. I have stored procedures that return exactly what I need, and update exactly what I need. You will rarely need ADOMD unless you end up in Data Warehousing and Data Modeling. Unless you're working with Data Cubes and MDX queries, you shouldn't need it. In my opinion, you can get by with just ADO in most cases.

What is the BEST cursortype and locktype to use for both Web and App development?Is it Dynamic with batchoptimistic or what?
Again it depends on what you're doing with it. That's why there are more than one. If I'm just pulling a list of things that are going to be Displayed, I open my recordsets with a Forward Only, Read Only cursor. If I'm going to be updating data (which I don't do anymore. I only use stored procedures via the Connection.Execute() method.) I would open it Dynamic BatchOptimistic as you stated. It gives you the most options for making your changes.

Obviously these are just my opinions. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell me what I'm doing wrong. :)

orbknives
11-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the notion expert wayneph, i really appreciated that...Still open for more suggestions guys...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum