Game Graphics Engine

denmeister
02-25-2002, 02:43 PM
I am currently writing a DirectX graphics engine. The object of this engine is to gain the power of DirectX and put it into a package that requires no DirectX knowledge. I want to automate simple tasks and assist in more complex tasks. I would like to get responses to what you'd like to see in a graphics engine. What features would you like? How would you like the object interfaces designed? Some feed-back, please? I have already started and am about to begin the interface design.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

denmeister
03-02-2002, 05:40 AM
I'm posting this just to bump it back up to the top. Will somebody PLEASE give me some suggestions. I know what I want in the engine, but I'm looking for suggestions as to what would make the hard things easy and the easy things easier.

It's going to be a script driven engine, but this can be bypassed if you choose to. The scripting language is already written and fairly well debugged.:D Now it's time for me to get to the actual grunt work.:(

Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appriciated.;)

Squirm
03-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Depends what you mean by 'graphics engine'. Every commercial engine out there is suited towards a specific purpose. Loads of things to consider:

Render quality or speed?
Gaming or scientific?
Suited towards indoor or outdoor environments?
Vertex or mesh based?
Is raypicking required?
How much should it rely on hardware?
Windowed, fullscreen or both?

It sounds like a good idea. It is something which I have done in the past, made an engine which I then used in 3 or 4 'games'.

I would advise against trying to put EVERYTHING into one package.

denmeister
03-02-2002, 09:37 AM
okay...

1) Built more towards quality
2) For Gaming
3) Suited for indoor, but capable of outdoor
4) Mostly mesh based, but support for indicies
5) Raypicking needs to be available
6) It should use as much hardware support as possible, but able to run on any PC
7) Both Windowed and Fullscreen, but Windowed would be only for debugging purposes.

Squirm
03-02-2002, 09:58 AM
Hmm, a quality engine with raypicking and scripting, suited to indoors, sounds cool for RPGs. :D

Well, you should start of by working out how the module/class/whatever will interface with the user's program, how the scripting is integrated etc.

Then you should start with a very basic engine. You'll need some kind of texture management system. Although I dont like the coding of the class, Jack's tutorial here (http://64.23.12.52//Tutorials/DirectX8/GR_Lesson13.asp) offers some very useful theory on this. You may need to create a similar kind of thing for mesh management as well.

I would recommend anyone considering a large project in DX sign up at VoodooVB forums (http://voodoovb.dnsalias.net/phpBB/). Its almost 100% DirectX-related, so you get accurate answers quick. You might also want to look at Visual Weather (http://www.visualweather.co.uk/index.htm). Okay, its outdoors, but the emphasis is on quality there. Download the Visual Weather Techniques and take a look at how some things have been done. Very good source of info.

Also, is the engine purely for graphics, or were you thinking of implementing sound/music/input into it as well?

denmeister
03-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Absolutely, but that's not my main concern at this time. I want to focus on the graphics portion of it right now, get the engine where I want it to be. But, I want it to be functional enough to be able to do almost anything I throw at it. But I want it's power to lie in the places I stated earlier.

Thanks for the good links.

And, yes, it is an RPG. The biggest one I've ever attempted, and I have what I think is a kick *** story line.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum