Need Basic All-Around Help

Sonic1015
11-12-2004, 07:00 AM
I missed the first day in class on Databases so I was getting behind on the assignment we were given. I do have a specific problem, but I also would just like to make my code a lot more efficient as well. I know the coding is sloppy and that there are glitches left and right, but no matter how many headaches I get, I just don't seem to make any progress on it.

Now as for my specific problem, The search part of my project isn't working. I can get it to find a name quite easily actually, but the problem I have is actually when it comes to moving from that name and asking the program to keep looking (e.g. there are two people with the same last name and the search word you put in was there last name). I just can't seem to find what the heck is wrong with it. Can you help me?

Here is the attached project. The spreadsheet is in there, but all the filenames are set for a path that'll probably be different then from where you download it from. Sorry about that, but hopefully it will help.

Sonic1015
11-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Can someone please atleast give me a few suggestions? I really need some help here.

loquin
11-16-2004, 09:15 AM
I can't spend the time to look through all the code right now, but why are you using a spreadsheet as the database? Although it's possible to use an Excel file as your data store, it's non-standard, and a lot of things just don't work well.

You would be MUCH better off if you use a database file rather than a spreadsheet.

Although Access isn't a good database, it's a MUCH better database than is Excel...

Also, if you can, use ADO instead of DAO, and don't use data controls if you can avoid them.

Sonic1015
11-17-2004, 06:12 AM
I have to use excel 8.0, sorry I forgot to mention this but this is an assignment for school.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum