Speeding up

jessie_emmanuel
02-28-2002, 08:00 PM
How can I make my visual basic game faster?

orufet
02-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Probably, yes. There are almost always to optomize your program to make it run faster. Since there are as many ways to make a game as there are games (almost :)), we can't really help you until you give us a little more information on how you've made your game. DirectX? API? Standard VB Picboxes and timers? Please explain more thouroughly, thanks.

amigo
02-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Tell us more what u want to achieve.:cool:

jessie_emmanuel
02-28-2002, 09:04 PM
I used standard VB picboxes, images, frames, and timers in my VB game. At firts, the speed is ok but as I added more controls like moving images (enemies, bombs, missiles, etc.) the speed is decreasing. The procedures for their movements are just being called by the timer that has an interval of "1". I just can't delete some controls because they are needed by the game. What can I do?

orufet
02-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Timers in general are slow. It's widely accepted that "timers suck". My suggestion is to use the GetTime or GetTickCouct API calls and code your own timer. Also, when you say "slow", are you sure this is an effect of your slow code, or maybe that your computer runs low on memory? If you can tell that a specific section of your code is running slowly, you might think about posting the code so that we can have a look at it, and maybe improve it.

wild wolf
03-01-2002, 02:06 AM
I was working on this game and all images were icons and i was using imagebox and the game was very slow, but the moment i converted everything to pictuerbox instead of imagebox, things speed up by almost double the speed it was before.......

By the way iam trying my best not to use short forms (u and you) :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum