Is this too comon

Titanium Sniper
12-11-2004, 03:09 PM
i want to make a vb.net program to use the combined power of 2 or more computers to which computers can be added or removed one at a time by selecting remove or add in the program to calculate a table of primes qiuickly

this is my second year of programing and my second year of vb

i have gotten it pretty fast in java on one machine. i made it in 2 buss rides and my algorythm is probably common but it does the first milion primes in just under 2 and a half minutes on my amd athlon xp-m 2800+ presario 2104us now having 700 mb memory, its my laptop and it the program only got to use 60-70 percent of the cpu power at that time

is makng this program very comon because i think it probably is and it is probably too easy

blindreaper666
12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if VB.net can work across multiple machines. I don't even think it supports manipulation of a specific processor on a multiple processor machine. You've only given this topic 40 minutes before you got mad. Some topics aren't even looked at for weeks. You should be a bit more patient because there are often big bursts of new topics at a time when your's is made and your topic might be put at the bottom of the page so it takes people time to look through the other topics first. But it will be responded to eventually.

Titanium Sniper
12-11-2004, 05:26 PM
ip addresses are not alowed at school so i am going to design a program to use files and communicate using a few classes i will write to use files in a way compareable to winsock. that is how i am going to comunicate between computers.

the multiple computers will come up with all the primes in a certain range given to that computer the range will always be from the next number to test for primeness up to 1 less than the square of the last found prime.
Each cpomputer's list will probably include like a range within the next couple bilion numbers consisting of a few hundred million or so numbers.

Since i know i am hard to understand i have a more visual representation of how it will work (and for this explanation, 100,000,000 will be considered a prime so the numbers are easier to see):
i will tell what hapens when the lastprime found by the program is 100,000,000 and each computer will have/will have access to a list of all the primes found so far:

the last prime the program found is: 100,000,000 and it's square is 1000,000,000,000,000,000 so all the non primes from 1000,000,000 to 1000,000,000,000,000,000 will be divisible by one of the primes less than 100,000,000.

To test for the primeness of a number from 100,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000 all yu have to do is see if it is dividible by no prime numbers from 2 to the last prime found which is 100,000,000

machine 1,'s range to test is 100,000,000 to 500,000,000
machine 2,'s range to test is 500,000,000 to 1,000,000,000
machine 3,'s range to test is 1,000,000,000 to 1,500,000,000
machine 4,'s range to test is 1,500,000,000 to 2,000,000,000
and the primes will be added to a list of primes on each computer after the lowest numbered machine is done with that range.

i will add a lot more to this for use with even larger numbers but i dont want to explain everything it will do or the program wont be "mine" and others won't have to figure out how to do it theselves and have fun doing that

also i have not gotten any of this data from anywhere even though someone probably has done something like this, and there are MY ideas so they may or may not work

in responce to the anti bumping request, if i may call it that:
i am new to forums as big as these and i came from onewhere maybe ten peope were on at a time and saw that a few pages of people were online and assumed that since a few of them were blue (probably special) that more than one "blue" person would look at it, even if they didn't post. oh, and thanks to whoever the only "blue" person was that looked at my post in the first 30 mins

also after how long without having one person look at your post, and also after noone has posted , should you wait before posting bumping in these forums.

also when is a topic "dead" because there are some from a month ago that i have questions about

Mike Rosenblum
12-11-2004, 06:14 PM
You should wait 24 hrs before bumping a post, or if it gets pushed off the 1st page. 40 minutes is way too fast. You'll get fairly quick response on this forum, but it is a weekend and your Q is complex. Also, a lot of the badged members here are badged because of their VB6 or VBA skills. A few are strong in .Net, but I, personally, am not one of them.

A question involving multi-processors is not easy, so you really need to take a deep breath and slow down. There is multi-threaded support and I believe there are ways to address a specific process (as opposed to a thread), but both of these concepts are "virtual" where the OS provides the "feel" of a multi-processor, without it actually occurring. As for actually controlling remote machines, or individual processors within a given PC, I'm sure it can be done, but I would be patient.

Another resource to try is the Extreme .Net Talk Forum (http://www.dotnetforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=65). They have greater technical expertise, however less volume than we get here. Be prepared to leave a post there for several days over there before even considering bumping.

I would also suggest that you write your posts clearly and with proper capitalization, it really does help the readers here. Try to keep the post short and to the point as well. Post #1 here is a good post. Post #5 is long winded. Having a look at the Posting Guidelines is not a bad idea either.

That's it for advice! Generally try to relax around here, be patient... :)

Titanium Sniper
12-11-2004, 06:34 PM
on our school network they have sooooo much security we cant do anything bad yet, but there are files they have left that any user has access to so i would use one of those because all the computers on the school network can access those files.
also i wil never really get to use tis program to it's potential because it is against the rules unless you get permission and my teacher said no and my other teacher, the school "admin" also said no. hes not the real admin tho cause theres like 50 schools on te same network for a total of 1200 machines so far, i counted them. if i could run it on the computers we dont use during class i woud try it but il have to try it at home on our computers or on one computer at school

oh and your link reminded me: isn't it cool that the whole msdn library fits on 3 cds

piggybank1974
12-12-2004, 05:59 AM
it could be done, one machine would need to be the server and the others the client,

the server could control, what is sent out to each client, you would need to remember where the data was situated, so it could go back at that point.

but the process is not to difficult to achieve.

the pig...

Titanium Sniper
12-12-2004, 11:24 AM
i know i can do it but
would it be anything thats not common, do a lot of people try this?

piggybank1974
12-12-2004, 02:50 PM
please explain your reply more clearer.

the pig..

Titanium Sniper
12-12-2004, 02:54 PM
i was just wondering if this would besomething semi unque for me to do that not many people have done because some of my other programs are commonly done, battleshipover a network, tetris...
i was wondering if this was a god idea to try to be unique in my program or if many second year students do this

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum