internet game

seubert316
03-04-2002, 08:52 PM
how complex is making something so i can veiw a form and view it with a friend online at the same time(same form, changes on both computers)
what i want to make it, a card game that i can play against him)

thanx

orufet
03-04-2002, 09:16 PM
"how complex...?"

Well, the complexity of things really depends on how much experience you have (in this case) programming. Personally, this sort of thing is not complex right now to me at all, as internet programming is a long-time (6 months or so) hobby of mine. But, judging by the fact that you're asking a question, it will probably be diffucult.

Basically, what you need to use is a control called Winsock. You can add it to your program by going to the Project menu in VB >> Components >> Microsoft Winsock Control. This control lets you send information between two computers on the internet.

There are several in-depth tutorials on this sort of thing in the Tutor's Corner and the Code Library, if you care to look. If you would like to learn more about Winsock, I suggest you visit http://www.vbip.com and have a look though MSDN.

If you would like a more detailed explanation of how a chat/internet game program works, let us know and I'm sure one of us will type something up.

Squirm
03-05-2002, 07:40 AM
You won't be creating a form that is visible by two people. You will be creating an application which connects (via winsock) to another application and then sends messages about which parts of the form to update.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum